This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Q re strategy for advancing in hollow holds

Started by mcneuen, August 14, 2014 · 7 Replies · 340 Views

mcneuen

I'm currently doing straddle holds (but q would also apply for HBH) and of course I'm working to keep my feet low to the ground as shown in the video.  I find that as I fatigue, though, I'm only able to keep a good PPT if I raise my feet up higher than would be ok for mastery per the video. 

 

My question, then, is whether the fastest path to mastery would be:

 

Option 1:  stay in microcycles where I'm able to maintain the low feet for the entire time, or

 

Option 2:  keep working on extending the time in hollow, even if my feet go too high at the end of some of the later sets (but still PPT), and then as I get stronger, repeat micro-cycles keeping lower feet as long as possible.

 

 

Thanks.

Nacho training

I think that option 2 feels harder than the option 1. It is like doing "Extended Set" You decrease intensity lifting the legs for increasing the time under tension. In my opinion you can play with both. The week 3, before the deload week, you could do the option 2, like a shock mycrocicle. The week 1, and week 2 you could do option 1, but trying to apply the overload from week 1 to the week 2.

It also depends on the training frequency that you are doing. Try it and see how affects your fatigue. You have to train hard but you have to rest enough for having motivation and enough energy for pushing hard again. The only way so as to see if it works is doing it. So try it and see how it works. If you feel a bit stronger the next workout, perfect. If you feel worse... then see what has not worked and change it.

Greetings :)

Keegan

I would do (and have been doing with pretty much all of the exercises) sort of a mix of the two.

I will stay within a micro cycle until I can complete all of the reps in the third week of the cycle (week 3,7, or 11) with perfect form/tempo and no additional rest than the IM. I may take many times through till that happens, but I reason that if I can't master 5x9 for instance, that I have no business going to 4x12 and certainly none going after 5x15.

Until I get there though I either complete the set with perfect form or keep pushing until form breaks down (technical failure) and then terminate the set (even if I fall short of my goal reps/TUT).

That is just my body though. I have used "intensity techniques" (like "mechanical drop sets", partials, static holds, slow negatives, rest-pause, etc...) in the past and have found that these tend to tax my recovery systems too much and actually slow my progress in the long run. But, everyone is an individual as far as how much stress they can recover from, so I'm not saying not to test option 2 (though, like Nacho said above, I would use it sparingly at first to see how you respond to it before trying to do it every time).

Hope this helps. Good luck.

emilianop

I'd go for form.

 

One thing is testing with different sets/reps than what you find in the program, another one is doing the exercise with different/bad form.

The latter should be avoided like the plague, no matter what, IMHO...

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, i end up looking for form and the performance to keep it. that's why i've taken my time with certain PE's/iM's and have blasted through some roadblocks after taking care of first things first. I'd hold for the time you can and follow the programming for the 60sec and if you can't work at the time jumps in the 60sec template, instead of adding 12 seconds, add 9 or 6 or even 3. that's what I've been doing. honestly, i think i could be doing better on the nutrition side, but just make the increments you can with the form you're striving towards. no use wasting your time on second best. :) 

Alan Tseng

Instead of compromising the form (with feet too low), perhaps in the last few seconds when you're struggling, maybe change from straddle to a bent hollow position.  Lower intensity but still keeping the correct form - though doesn't count for mastery of course

Nacho training
alan tseng said:

Instead of compromising the form (with feet too low), perhaps in the last few seconds when you're struggling, maybe change from straddle to a bent hollow position.  Lower intensity but still keeping the correct form - though doesn't count for mastery of course

Exactly. It is not about working with bad form. It is about extending the time under tension doing an easier mechanical advantage position. Personally, I wouldn't do more work with bad form. I also think that this could be a good idea when you reach a plateau in your progress, and using it sporadically. If you can progress steadily, doing all reps with the same intensity and the best form... there is no need for the second option.