So I am wondering how often I could workout so that it is best for progression?
I am in gymnastics training 4 times a week for a total of about 8 hours (Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday). Thursday and Saturday are really tough days, as I do a lot of bar work on those two days (like giants, free hip to handstands etc) which require a lot of strength. We don't do a lot of strength in the gym, just some hollow rocks and push ups at the beginning!
Anyways, so far I have been working out every second day, doing the same exercises (leg lifts, pike push-ups, dips, pull-ups, squats and squat jumps, a hard core circuit, reverse leg lifts and sit-ups and some pike and straddle presses at the end) My goal is just to get more reps in all those exercises and I do not feel sore anymore, sometimes a little stiff in the shoulders, but that's it.
The thing is, I usually feel "strongest" when I am a little sore from the workout the day before or at least I can "feel" my muscles because I am tired. Then I am really motivated! If I do nothing for one or two days, because I want to give my body some rest, I feel much weaker the next day, as if my metabolism would slow down and my arms and legs feel like noodles! AAArghh I hate that! When I want to work out then, I feel weak and lightheaded and it's just awful!
So in my opinion, the hardest part of my training is the skill training at the gym, like the tumbling and bars. Because I need to concentrate it is physically AND mentally exhausting!
So I thought I could do the strength part maybe 5 times a week and just rest on Saturday? Or is this a bad idea?
So like that:
MO: 1 hour basic tumbling (at home), 1/2 active and passive flexibility, 1 hour strength
TUE: 1 hour gym, 1/2 active and passive flexibility, 1 hour strength
WED: 1 hour basic tumbling (at home), 1/2 active and passive flexibility, 1 hour strength
THUR: 2 hours gym (bars), 1/2 active and passive flexibility, 1 hour strength
FR: 1 hour gym (tumbling), 1/2 active and passive flexibility, 1 hour strength
SAT: 2 hours gym (bars), 1/2 active and passive flexibility
SUN: whatever (jumping trampoline, cycling, swimming, meeting friends...) 1/2 active and passive flexibility, 1 hour strength
What do you think, is this a bad idea? Will I overtrain if I do strength 6 days a week? At the moment, I am in the 5-10 range of each of the exercises I am doing (leg lifts, dips, pike push-ups...) and my goal is to get to about 15 reps or a little more (except the pull-ups, I want to do 10).
So what is your opinion on that? How often do you work out? How can I decide wheter to workout more often or not? I am sure I will feel tired and maybe won't get that much reps in the first 2 weeks or so...but will I adapt? Hope you guys can give me your experiences here!
Thanks!