This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Am I in the right place?

Started by JimV, August 14, 2014 · 5 Replies · 451 Views

JimV

I started GST a little more than 4 months ago to increase my range of motion and strength so that I'd be 1) a healthier human and 2) more durable in the sports I enjoy (mountain biking, trail running, BMX...). I'd say I have no interest in gymnastics as an end in itself. I don't care about Planches and Mannas. I get that they are real accomplishments, but they don't light my fire. 

 

If that's really my goal - increased durability in other pursuits, am I in the right place? When I heard Coach Sommer on Barbell Shrugged, I immediately thought that I wanted what he described. Strengthen the joints and build strength over a complete range of motion. I've had a lot of injuries over the last years that I think I wouldn't have had if my joints were stronger and held together better in crashes or even mis-steps. 

 

As far as reward for the last 4 months: when I mountain bike my wrists don't hurt anymore, my upper body is far more stable so I can control the bike better when the trail is particularly rough, I'm more able to steer with my hips (which lets me carry more speed through turns) and my upper body never sags between my shoulders (thank you, thousands of Scapular Shrugs!) I haven't had the chance to see if I'm more durable when I rag doll down a mountain. I also noticed that when I run, my feet are straighter, not pointing out to the side as much (thank you endless Swivel Hips!) 

 

Just an observation: 20 years of cycling combined with 30 years of desk work is not good prep for ABH. :)  

 

Coach Sommer

Given your results to date, I believe that you have already answered your own question. ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jeremy Huston

I look forward to videos of you winning a race and crossing the finish line doing a handle bar planche.  Not as an ends in itself but just because you can :)

Mark Collins

You will not find better than this program.

JimV

I will definitely work the handle bar planche!

JimV

This podcast answered really answered my question. The way I heard it was that Coach Sommer said that this isn't gymnastics, it's the simply the strength and mobility portion of gymnastic training.

 

http://paleomagonline.com/paleo-magazine-radio-eps-48-building-a-gymnasts-body-with-coach-chris-sommer-and-roasting-the-perfect-chicken-with-russ-crandall/

 

I went away mountain biking this weekend and happened to see myself in the mirror. I was surprised that I am carrying a little more muscle. It was a little different than what I expected to see.