Can Olympic training be performed everyday unlike lifting weights you need time for your muscles to heal, same concept with olympic training?
Can Olympic training be performed everyday?
Started by SaNdMaN, June 10, 2009 · 17 Replies · 3,599 Views
By olympic training I assume you mean gymnastics training.
If so, it really depends on who you are. Some people can workout 6 days a week and walk away without a problem while others can only do 3.
Work yourself into it.
Personally I won't do strength work more than 5 times a week.
It's more preference than anything.
Hope this helps.
Many gymnasts will do 2 workouts a day, but I've never heard of 3 as I've heard some Oly lifters do.
So, with Olympic lifters, they are literally doing one or two reps, several times a day. That's pure power training, looking to get multiple training effects per day. And they do alternate exercises. It's not the same thing every day, much like I would assume a gymnast does. And you smaller guys can really just get away with more work ![]()
I have heard some Oly lifters do more than 2 workouts per day. Such as it is, I'm sure they are not simply doing 2-3 reps per workout.
Well, per lift. Even on steroids you can't handle that combination of volume and frequency. Plus, that's essentially what the bulgarians do. They take one lift and do it all day, but only one or two maximal lifts at a time. It's explosive, so it doesn't take nearly the amount of resources that a strength lift would, and they can get away with more maximal lifts. It's pretty smart, really, but even then only the genetically gifted can take it to the highest levels. Us normal ppl can still use the idea though
And the low reps is just for their work set. Over the course of they day they may have 3 or more workouts, who knows how many, but outside of their warmup they'll do just a few heavy lifts per workout. Remember, they are only going for maxes, and they are only training for 2 lifts(snatch, clean and jerk), so it's not like they're going crazy with the weights. They are very similar in the first phases of the movement too, so there's a lot of overlap. They are able to do this type of training because they are only training one basic movement with two different catches. I personally can't frikin' believe a person can move so much weight so fast, it's incredible.
Although I'm no expert on the intimate details of how often they train, I know that they must also perform strength exercises as well. U can't clean a huge weight unless you can more than comfortably squat it. Plus I'm pretty sure they perform a variety of assistance exercises such as military press, Stiff leg deadlift, Front and back squat which would be almost entirely strength based. U can't have power without strength first.
So perhaps someone with more knowledge can explain how they break up this training to be able to train three times a day 6 times a week.
Is it because it is mainly low rep so more nervous system taxing and they develop a huge work capacity for this?
Well, for one thing, every single time you practice those movements, you are doing a squat. At least, when you are doing it with proper form. So they ARE still hitting those movements. And yes, there is supplementary training I am sure, if someone with more knowledge on the O-lifting would step in here I would appreciate it as well. I'd imagine that part of the training wouldn't be too far off of what you'd expect, once or twice a week if it's higher volume and 3 or 4 times a week if it's really low volume.
Basically wiht a high enough conditioning level you can train very often.
I've been on 5x a week and 3:1 and made enormous gains before. Now I've cut back to upper/lower scheme to let my body recover a bit more, but might move back into more high frequency training again.
You can build up to high levels you just have to know when to back off and recover though.
slizzardman said:Well, for one thing, every single time you practice those movements, you are doing a squat. At least, when you are doing it with proper form. So they ARE still hitting those movements. And yes, there is supplementary training I am sure, if someone with more knowledge on the O-lifting would step in here I would appreciate it as well. I'd imagine that part of the training wouldn't be too far off of what you'd expect, once or twice a week if it's higher volume and 3 or 4 times a week if it's really low volume.
************** I personally prefer the USSR sys to Bulgarian unless your specializing in a paticular sport.FREQUENCY is very important for strength and power gains.
Brandon Green
braindx said:Basically wiht a high enough conditioning level you can train very often.I've been on 5x a week and 3:1 and made enormous gains before. Now I've cut back to upper/lower scheme to let my body recover a bit more, but might move back into more high frequency training again.
You can build up to high levels you just have to know when to back off and recover though.
True that. I'm doing higher frequency now too, and it definitely makes a difference.
Even some gymnast do train 3 sesions per day!!
First 7-9,second 11-13, third 17-20!!! Ok this is no whole year practice, just one month 3-4 times a year.
Is this done before meet season? I notice there is still 2-4 hours of rest in between which would be nice.
Yes and I think somwhere in the middle.
Gregor said:Even some gymnast do train 3 sesions per day!!First 7-9,second 11-13, third 17-20!!! Ok this is no whole year practice, just one month 3-4 times a year.
********* what does 7-9,11-13,17-20 mean?
Brandon
7am-9am
11am-13oclock(1pm)
17oclock(5pm)-20oclock(8pm)
Blairbob said:7am-9am11am-13oclock(1pm)
17oclock(5pm)-20oclock(8pm)
*********** thank you.
Brandon
24h clock. it's not am and pm, but to 24.