This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Active Recovery Conditioning

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, August 13, 2014 · 9 Replies · 449 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

To keep things brief, I'm wondering how best to incorporate sprints or some sprint repeats into my training. The field sportsman in me dies hard and I don't want to lose my athletic edge were I to ever play any pickup sports throughout my progress in Foundation One. Any suggestions?

 

So far, I am just doing the Foundation One progressions coupled with the Handstand One program. I was thinking to include sprints after my upper body work on Monday and Thursdays, would that be your recommendations?

 

This program is great stuff, by the way. The introduction and setup was a bit confusing in my first read-throughs, but it makes sense now.

 

 

Thanks,

Danny

Iván de Mon

I started rowing a few weeks ago and I will start wrestling as soon as my ankle is at 100% again. I also go for a short run from time to time. I thinkk you can add any sport or activity as long as the volume is not astronomically high and you treat is as cardio. In my case cardio had been a weak point of mine all my life (that Foundation training shoved in my face), so if that's your case you will find it very beneficial.

 

so, just to clarify, what I was trying to say is include sports and cardio activities as much as you want, there's no reason to avoid it.

Nacho training

Which would be your ultimate goal with sprints?

Jeremy Huston

In the webinar, coach advocates cardio along with Foundation.  Where you put it in your programming is up to you -- as long as it's after your F and HS work.  I'm doing the 3 day F / 2 day HS split.  I do some sprints or skip rope after 1 of the HS days.  On the 6th day I've added low level cycling.  With this split, one of the F days only has 3 exercises, so you could add sprints as a 4th exercise there.  Don't overdo it so your body can't recover.

john_c

I normally try and do any sprinting/ hard running on the B day ie MN/SL/SLS just so I get as much recovery as I can. Sprinting is strength work.

Jon Douglas

I do F7 on Mon/Thurs, handstand with strength emphasis TF. I do hard hill sprints TF and am thriving on it. I can recommend this schedule or a variation of it :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Very well, just wanted to basically hear what I was already assuming intuitively: sprinting = leg work, do it concurrently with the leg days (Tues/ Thurs). 

 

Also, my ultimate goal with sprinting is mmm life. Running from zombies, hunting down prey or a purse snatcher, pickup soccer or basketball games. Lol, I have no ultimate goal besides simply being able to gun it if ever the situation calls for it. I figure with these foundations and HS work, my core and upper body strength will eventually get to peak levels, however being able to post up or shoot for goal on a breakaway may not necessarily be a trained-for skill from GB programs. That's not a negative, but I have diverse interests, like everyone. Thanks everyone for your input.

Nacho training

What I wanted to say is that is different run for long distances, run for speed, run for body composition, etc. But If you run for fun, just run. I also like it :)

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'd guess running for speed if I had to categorize it but basically just running for fun or anything life requires of me without then keeling over afterwards.

Jon Douglas

Actually mine was separate days for strength vs. Sprints. This distinction becomes more distinct in foundation 3 and 4 leg work :)

Leg str Mon/Thurs, hill sprints Tue/Fri. Hard hip mobility/prehab and splits/oversplits following sprint work.