This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

lost an easy exercise just by not doing it? should I worry?

Started by katlinchen, August 12, 2014 · 4 Replies · 271 Views

katlinchen

About 3-4 months ago, before working out with Foundation (when I was much weaker ... :P ) I sometimes did V-Hangs or also called pike hangs. So hanging on a free pull-up bar, toes touching the bar. I never did max holds or so, but I definitely could have stayed in that position for 20 secs or so, with swinging.

Then I started working on Foundation and didn't do that anymore. I am now able to do Full Leg Lifts on Stall bars, about 8-10 or so in my max set. I can also hang on stall bars, feet touching the bar for like 20 or 30 secs, it's not really a big deal. Also I can hold an inverted hang for 25-30 secs on a pull-up bar which I couldn't do before AT ALL! I just didn't know how I should get up there and stay on in a vertical line!

Now here is the strange thing:

Yesterday I wanted to explain kips to someone else. I always show the pike hang, so that they know you need to lift her feet to the bar at the end of the kip exentsion. I could do it, but it felt really hard. I just didn't know anymore which muscles I should use to stay in that pike position.

So I am pretty sure I am not too weak to do a pike hang, because I feel really comfortable with it on stall bars. 

Is this really possible that you just don't know how to do a certain hold anymore, just because you haven't done it in a while?

Should I worry about that? Should I practice it? Or will it anyways as soon as I start the V Hang to Inverted Hang exercise? Has anyone experiences something similar?

Rayne-William

I wouldn't say you lost the ability to do an easier exercise. As you stated you just forgot which muscles to use your hip flexors to keep your feet at the bar.

 

You can always practise anything you wish to practise. Don't worry about it really. You will have all the hip flexor strength you need when you get to the inverted v hang to inverted hang exercise. (Kip Extension- FL/PE14)

Jon Douglas

It can be really disconcerting when you don't practise something a while. I have hit this a few times and it sucks :(

However, as you have observed, you are quite a bit stronger now. A quick bout of practise (don't overdo it, just get some perfect reps in) and it will feel easy again. Easier than ever, likely :)

katlinchen
GoldenEagle said:

I wouldn't say you lost the ability to do an easier exercise. As you stated you just forgot which muscles to use your hip flexors to keep your feet at the bar.

You can always practise anything you wish to practise. Don't worry about it really. You will have all the hip flexor strength you need when you get to the inverted v hang to inverted hang exercise. (Kip Extension- FL/PE14)

Thank you very much for your answer!

katlinchen
Jon Douglas said:

It can be really disconcerting when you don't practise something a while. I have hit this a few times and it sucks :(

However, as you have observed, you are quite a bit stronger now. A quick bout of practise (don't overdo it, just get some perfect reps in) and it will feel easy again. Easier than ever, likely :)

Thank you for your reply, it really helped!