This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hollow holds and lower back

Started by BeanLion, August 11, 2014 · 12 Replies · 476 Views

BeanLion

How much of the lower back should be in contact with the floor when doing hollow holds?

 

I ask because as far as I can push my hips forward to a posterior pelvic tilt, there's still a gap where my spine curves in and bum sticks out.

 

I want to make sure this is normal and not some mobility issue I have which will need specific stretching for.

 

Thanks

Nacho training

You should contact all the lower back with the floor. You could feel an improvement if you stretch the anterior chain (specially quads and hip flexors, while doing PPT) . It's also important to practice the PPT and having postural awareness. Try it and if you continue having problems you should film yourself and posting here a video. Greetings!

Jon Douglas

+1 on hip flexor stretch :)

mcneuen
BeanLion said:

I ask because as far as I can push my hips forward to a posterior pelvic tilt....

This makes me think you might want to post a video.

BeanLion

Here's a video of my ROM

It seems like I can push far back into anterior pelvic tilt but is that enough PPT?

Thanks

Cole Dano

Try doing the same thing with your back against a wall and try to get the whole of your lower back touching.

BeanLion

I just tried that (didn't have a chance to record it) and there's no way I can get my lower back touching. I can still pretty much slide my fingers in the gap

Cole Dano

Now you know what to work on.

 

To confirm it's hip flexors, do it again and let your knees bend, or step your feet further from the wall so you are a bit piked. Go far enough out that you are able to do it.

BeanLion

Thanks for that. I can get my lower back flat when I bend my knees slightly, just not standing up straight.

 

Having a desk job for the last 12+ years it's no surprise that my hip flexors need work.

Keegan

If you have H1, some of the PPT exercises in it are good for strengthening the abs/stretching the lower back/hip flexors in this exact way.

Murray Truelove

Besides stretching your hip flexor be sure to strengthen your glutes. I found contracting my glutes while walking and standing to have had the biggest impact on my anterior pelvic tilt.

BeanLion
Keegan said:

If you have H1, some of the PPT exercises in it are good for strengthening the abs/stretching the lower back/hip flexors in this exact way.

I certainly do have H1, what exercise from there do you recommend?

 

Murray Truelove said:

Besides stretching your hip flexor be sure to strengthen your glutes. I found contracting my glutes while walking and standing to have had the biggest impact on my anterior pelvic tilt.

I'll have to give this a go, thanks for the tip!

Keegan

HS/PE12>iM is the one that I have found to be the most beneficial, but you could work on HS/PE11>iM first if need be, or use it as a warm up if you wanted.

I'm still unable to get completely flat on this (while keeping calves fully on the ground anyhow), but I'm definitely seeing improvement from doing them regularly.

Also, in regards to glutes, I am totally on board with Murray that strengthening the glutes will help with PPT, but personally, if I contract my glutes while trying to do a prone PPT or PPT while keeping my back to the wall my glutes push me away from the wall and either I lose full contact with my back or my calves lift off the ground.

I have also found that stretching the lower back has been helpful for me in progressing in FL and MN progressions as this area is tight on my body.

Hope this helps.