This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2 form check

Started by Pauline Taube, August 11, 2014 · 6 Replies · 275 Views

Pauline Taube

Hi  :)

 

This is my first set of 5x15. I guess it's not good enough for mastery, but I've been stuck at push ups since november. Any tips on how to get stronger in order to do correct push ups? I've tried PE3, but I'm not yet strong enough to keep my hands under hips. 

 

Any tips appreciated

 

Thanks! :)

 

Pauline

 

IMG_0012.MOV

IMG_0036.MOV

Rayne-William

Despite the videos being upside down.

 

Generally speaking your push ups look good.

 

First video:

1. Hold your abdominals some what tight, if you weren't already doing so, to keep your spine in the same position throughout the range of motion. - Other wise your mid to upper back sags as you lower chest down to the floor.

 

2. Do your best to keep your elbows close to your sides. You don't have to keep your fingers pointing forward if another hand position is more comfortable for your wrists. - Keeping your elbows close to your sides engages your triceps because your upper arm in internally rotated.

 

3. Do your best to keep your head and neck in a neutral position. Keeping your head extended forward causes neck problems for anyone.

 

Second video:

Your overall body and arm position is better in this video than in the first video.

Jeremy Huston
Pauline Taube said:

Any tips on how to get stronger in order to do correct push ups? 

 

Nice work!  To get stronger, keep doing pushups with the form GoldenEagle described.  You can try slowing down the pushups as well for more time under tension, or do slow 10s negatives like the dip progression (PE5).

Keegan

Good advice so far. Just a point of clarification though, keeping your elbows close to your sides places your upper arm/humerus bone in an externally rotated position, not an internally rotated position. Internally rotating will bring the elbows away from the body.

Shmikey

Not only keep your abs somewhat tight like Golden Eagle said, you should also flex your glutes to keep your body line as straight as possible.  Keep it up!

Pauline Taube
GoldenEagle said:

Despite the videos being upside down.

 

Generally speaking your push ups look good.

 

First video:

1. Hold your abdominals some what tight, if you weren't already doing so, to keep your spine in the same position throughout the range of motion. - Other wise your mid to upper back sags as you lower chest down to the floor.

 

2. Do your best to keep your elbows close to your sides. You don't have to keep your fingers pointing forward if another hand position is more comfortable for your wrists. - Keeping your elbows close to your sides engages your triceps because your upper arm in internally rotated.

 

3. Do your best to keep your head and neck in a neutral position. Keeping your head extended forward causes neck problems for anyone.

 

Second video:

Your overall body and arm position is better in this video than in the first video.

Haha ooops, will try to get it the right way next time :)

 

Thanks for advice :) I'll be continuing working on push ups until I get them perfect! The second video was an attempt on psuedo planche push ups though, but after watching the vid I realized that I|m not quite there.. yet :)

Pauline Taube
Shmikey said:

Not only keep your abs somewhat tight like Golden Eagle said, you should also flex your glutes to keep your body line as straight as possible.  Keep it up!

Thanks :)

 

I try to keep my abs and glutes tight, I'll try to do it better next time ;)