This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Introduction and Initial Thoughts

Started by Shmikey, August 11, 2014 · 6 Replies · 293 Views

Shmikey

Alright, hello there.  I've been working on the F1 for about two months or so, and I figured I'd introduce myself to the forum, lay down some initial thoughts, and start to hold myself accountable for my progress.  Reading the forums has done wonders for helping me to check my ego with these.  F1 is a humbing experience to say the least, especially since I've been out of the fitness game since summer began.  In any case, it's great to have everybody here for insight and help, so thanks in advance.  I'll put form checks up soon enough when I feel I'm ready.

 

So, here's a summary of where I am for the beginning PEs, focusing both on hangups and accomplishments.

 

FL: imagined that the PE1 wouldn't be so bad, and when I tested for mastery I was able to hold for sets of 50-60 seconds.  What could possibly go wrong?  :facepalm:  I figured I'd just do the endurance block and I'd be fine with it as I had no problem with the iM.  However, as I trained through the month I started seeing my times decrease...what the what?  I figured out that, as I trained the movement, my range of motion during the exercise has improved (!!!), making it harder in the meantime.  Now I'm failing at the week 9 sets, so I'll be going after it until failure until I hit my deload week and starting again at Block 2.  A blow to the ego for sure, but I'd rather be doing it right than going half assed and calling it good.

 

sPL: The scapular shrugs haven't really been a problem; I was able to test out for the strength part of the PE1 on my first week.  However, those swivel hips are going to be thorn in my side for the next year or so...I swear, my entire pelvic girdle has been made of wood for as long as I can remember.  In order to rectify the situation, I've been taking a lacrosse ball to my butt (that sounds horrible...) as well as modifying swivel hips by bringing my knee to the floor while letting my glute float up and then gently settling back into the stretch by trying to bring my glute to the floor.  it might be working, but I have about a foot to go before I get my knee to the floor...any ideas to speed up the process would be greatly appreciated.

 

SL: Well, the PE1 is definitely living up to its reputation for me.  I'm able to do a 5x60s...if my ROM is crap.  Its been slowly improving, but not nearly how I want it to.  I decided to try the Zombie Back Attack  progression, and I'm excited to go all the way through.  My problem was, I think, a lack of glute activation and thoracic extension...my erector spinae was trying to pick up the slack to my detriment.  By doing the first step in the ZBA progression I got great glute/hamstring activation and the thoracic extention I've been reading about.  So, I suppose I'll get the ABH in a year or so...we'll see.  Anyone done the ZBA progression with good results?

 

MN: Working really hard on the ROM for this one by doing an isometric hold at the top for a second or two during my sets.  The iM isn't too bad, but even though I think I'll have the PE sort-of-mastered by the end of the month I'll go through another Block 3.  What's a good way to get my ROM up for the PE? Should I just keep hitting the iso hold until i can touch my knees to my chest?

 

SLS: The deck squats were horrible...I couldn't even get one rep because i'd fall on my ass when I started out.  So, to help out, i started doing the deepest bodyweight squats that I can manage with my heels together.  I focus on slow eccentric movement to the bottom of the squat, get as low as possible, and try for an explosive concentric movement to the top.  I'm about to finish a Block 2 for these, and found that I am able to do a deck squat now!  After I deload with the bodyweight squats I'll try Block 1 for the PE1.  Small victories ^_^

 

HBP: The PE1 was actually comparatively easy, and I tested out of it on the first week (even the iM, surprise surprise).  So now i'm working on PE2 and making decent progress.  It should be mastered in the next two weeks, but if I feel like I'm struggling to finish up the mastery set I'll go through another Block 3.

 

RC:  This one was a big blow to the ego (happens a lot in this program, I'm finding) because I can do sets of 8-10 pullups (or could before the summer...now I can manage 5...).  I'm working through Block 3, but I'm hitting a wall during my last set and breaking form.  I'll probably have to end up doing the block again, but if I make any good progress I'll put up a form check.

 

HS: I thought I was going good for PE2, buuut that pesky shoulder mobility might knock me back to PE1.   I read Coach's response to another member telling him to bring his hands to shoulder width, so I suppose I need to do that too...I'll be doing german hangs and such to help me get ready for the PE2-iM as I work on the PE1-iM.

 

Long post, so if you got this far thanks for reading.  We'll see how things go over the next few months and see if I'll have to buy F2 any time soon :D

 

TL,DR: Hey everyone, I have the same issues with mobility, range of motion, and ego destruction as most people who start this program.  Can't wait to walk the path with you all.

Ben Lawlis

Congrats on getting started and making some decent initial progress. I've been doing F1 for about the same period of time so a lot of your thoughts are similar to mine.

Shmikey

Thanks Ben. How are you working through the ROM hangups?

Ben Lawlis

I'm mainly just going through the IMs as regularly as possible. I realise that it's going to take years to get some of the ideal mobility, so I simply focus on being as consistent add possible in doing the exercises.

A good example is Swivel Hips. I'm a long way from being able to do this properly, but because I give it a go on most days I'm seeing some progress.

I've also found using the forum search helps a lot. Seeing lots of posts on an item I'm finding difficult is reassuring; it let's me know I'm not the only one struggling.

Murray Truelove

Nice write up.

DouglasMN

Welcome! I've been at it for about 6 mos now and have never felt better in my life, especially in the hips, back, and shoulders. Sounds like you're started on the right track. 

 

Good Luck!

Shmikey
Murray Truelove said:

Nice write up.

Thanks Murray!

 

 

DouglasMN said:

Welcome! I've been at it for about 6 mos now and have never felt better in my life, especially in the hips, back, and shoulders. Sounds like you're started on the right track. 

 

Good Luck!

 

I know what you mean.  I'm not sure if in the last two months my mobility has significantly improved, but i suppose I just feel more...aware of my movement?  And definitely more aware of areas that need attention!  And I'm starting to feel a lot more solid than I have on previous programs.  I'm excited to see how things progress.