This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE6 vs MN/PE7

Started by emilianop, August 11, 2014 · 17 Replies · 507 Views

emilianop

So...

 

PE6: spent almost one year to master it, went through infinite frustrating reiterations of the last microcycle over and over again, even testing mastery was quite a pain.

PE7: a single microcycle spent, just tested mastery today, passed with not many issue (a bit of pain at the last reps of fifth set), will repeat in some day, but looks totally possible.

 

I know the method is not linear, but... wow. I'm amazed!

Mark Collins

Funny you mention this. In my warm ups for MN PE6 I felt good and tried a HLL and I was surprised how easy it felt. I have been on negatives for over a year and they really have built some amazing strength in my abs and hip flexors. I am still on the second mini cycle but my form is so much better than when I started. Even though this has been a roadblock for me it feels like I will accelerate through the next few exercises.

William

hell yeah! negatives are way to hard right now, also after going through the former pe :D
 

what would you recommend, if its too hard with straight legs? short pulses on top position or just full rom but with tucked form?

emilianop

Yep, negatives do wonders!

I reckon it's mostly because you have no way to cheat at all (no preroll, no momentum) and because they force you to those hated ten seconds no matter what.

Currently I can lift legs in HLL, squeeze in there and block legs against head!

I'm wondering how much time I can spend in that position, one of these days I'll test...

 

William: if I understand it correctly I'd say don't bend your legs if the drill says so.

I'm pretty sure that if you start doing pulses with locked knees, you'll be getting more and more ROM as the days go by.

Bend your legs and you'd just develop bad habits.

My 2 cents, for sure Coach&Team will be able to deny/agree and explain better...

Mark Collins
William said:

hell yeah! negatives are way to hard right now, also after going through the former pe :D

 

what would you recommend, if its too hard with straight legs? short pulses on top position or just full rom but with tucked form?

I just kept trying to do full ROM with straight legs. Over time I improved little by little.

William
maolu said:

 

William: if I understand it correctly I'd say don't bend your legs if the drill says so.

I'm pretty sure that if you start doing pulses with locked knees, you'll be getting more and more ROM as the days go by.

Bend your legs and you'd just develop bad habits.

My 2 cents, for sure Coach&Team will be able to deny/agree and explain better...

Today i tried the "pulses" from top position, like 10cm for and back round about haha

But i still realized some big pressure on my shoulders, any ideas? didn't had this feeling in the earlier pe's.

But it stops me from going harder to train the hip flexors and abs.

William

my session today was great till MN negatives again, first reps was quite ok(could just handle a few inches going down slowly) but i could feel my shoulders getting "weak" and in my second run i had to stop immediately because of pain in my both shoulders, is this a strenght deficit or a flexibility thing? i felt like my inner shoulders got crushed from the force(while pushing against the bar, to lower down just with abs/hamstrings) rep by rep, now theres no pain anymore, though i had luck i guess.

I really want to train this PE, but never felt this discomfort/pain while making leg raises to 90 degrees.

Ravn

My shoulders felt awful, about to explode, when I first worked these. I'm guessing that this position is so unusual for adults, that we start from a huge strength deficit. My shoulders feel ok now when working these, but it's still strenuous. For this exercise time is a resource you need to be able to adapt to the strain. Don't rush

Adriano Augusto

Definitely agreed with the shoulder thing. It doesn't hurt but is not comfortable neither. Either way we know that uncomfortable is the norm with Foundation training, but as Ravn says this is unusual for us, adults, as we're one-piece-blocks due to our deficits.

 

I'm currently doing 4x3 of this, with a metronome to count exactly 10s, an is a HELL. I have no problem with the flexibility or the position, but with the looooooongs reps of 10 seconds and that no-rest iM!

 

After my year with MN/PE2 (which I mastered two weeks after the seminar) I'm not going to admit spent so much time on this.

Ravn
Adriano Augusto said:

Definitely agreed with the shoulder thing. It doesn't hurt but is not comfortable neither. Either way we know that uncomfortable is the norm with Foundation training, but as Ravn says this is unusual for us, adults, as we're one-piece-blocks due to our deficits.

 

I'm currently doing 4x3 of this, with a metronome to count exactly 10s, an is a HELL. I have no problem with the flexibility or the position, but with the looooooongs reps of 10 seconds and that no-rest iM!

 

After my year with MN/PE2 (which I mastered two weeks after the seminar) I'm not going to admit spent so much time on this.

Hell, exactly. This is by far the most :icon_twisted:  exercise on my plate at the moment, and the other exercises aren't exactly child's play (I'm looking at you, negative body lever). I'm surprised at how much time it takes to add reps to this one. I'm trying to nail 4x4, but it ain't happening any time soon. I'm completely smoked by set 3, and need to rest between reps 4 and 3 :blink: .

 

Yet I'm still proud to have accomplished acceptable form - 9 months ago, I would've sworn that this was impossible.

Mark Collins

It's the 10 second negative that kills. It was so much easier when I counted in my head rather than look at the iPhone timer!

emilianop

Definitely, exact timing is a killer!

 

I'm surprised at how much time it takes to add reps to this one.

I've been in the same position!

The first 3 sets of 5 have been there forever and I'd say not SO harsh, but then, 4th and 5th sets became insta-hell and been impossible to complete for months...

 

The good thing is that I did several tests with MN/PE7 and can definitely pass!

The way I see it is that PE6 is so hard, but so effective that the time spent on it counts for both PE6 and PE7... if I see it this way I didn't spend THAT much time on it!! :)

 

Time to move onto PE8, from the looks of it we might be best-friends-almost-forever.

(my greatest enemy at the moment is HBP/PE3)

emilianop

I can confirm PE7 is reproducible, so I tested PE8... BUT I messed up completely while watching videos and tested PE9 instead... holy sh*t!

 

Now I know I want to nail PE8 perfectly before even thinking about transitioning to PE9 :D

eagle

this all makes me feel better! I have been on this exercise about 4 months and just thought it was me! lol   but I'm almost through it.  I also feel some shoulder discomfort, in one of my shoulders actually.  so I pull up just a little until I'm in the tucked position, then extend until I'm in the hang correctly, then do the negative.  I should explain that I had the sore shoulder before doing the exercise (which has improved tremendously from the therapeutic aspect of all the exercises), but PE6 just brings it out.   In any case, I am happy to have put my time in, have great form, have gone light years in my strength, and am just about ready to move on.

Adriano Augusto

I would recommend do some of shoulder movement with bands before MN/PE6 as a warmup, to me is great to avoid that shoulder stress.

 

On a side note, last week was my "mastery week" for some elements and for others like MN/PE6 was week 7, 4x3. On monday I did this by morning: completely exhausted after the exercise, my hear rate go though the roof as I were doing HIIT, I had to take a rest between sets.

 

On friday I did the same but in the afternoon, same scheme, 4x3. Did it happen? I cannot remember, no issues at all. It was fluid and nice, without rest at all. Of course it was difficult but not even close to Monday. 

 

Conclusion to me: depends on the person is not the same training by the morning compared to training in the afternoon. To me at least I go better in the afternoon rather than in the morning, but this is me of course. Experiment with yourself!

Jon Douglas

Interesting. I wonder if it was your concentration, or a physical factor :)

William
Adriano Augusto said:

I would recommend do some of shoulder movement with bands before MN/PE6 as a warmup, to me is great to avoid that shoulder stress.

 

On a side note, last week was my "mastery week" for some elements and for others like MN/PE6 was week 7, 4x3. On monday I did this by morning: completely exhausted after the exercise, my hear rate go though the roof as I were doing HIIT, I had to take a rest between sets.

 

On friday I did the same but in the afternoon, same scheme, 4x3. Did it happen? I cannot remember, no issues at all. It was fluid and nice, without rest at all. Of course it was difficult but not even close to Monday. 

 

Conclusion to me: depends on the person is not the same training by the morning compared to training in the afternoon. To me at least I go better in the afternoon rather than in the morning, but this is me of course. Experiment with yourself!

You said it! same for me, in the morning everything is much harder, concentration of course, but maybe just because someone is used to train later?!

emilianop

For me I noticed it varies a lot based on what I train.

 

Lately I've been experimenting with doing H1, hard stretch and mobility work in the morning before going to work, then Foundation in the afternoon, and that was just great.

Don't know why, but I've noticed handstand work just goes better for me early in the morning, not to mention mobility and stretching. From a SENSORIAL point of view it's uncomfortable, because I feel much stiffer then, but after 3 weeks the gains were already there... and you know, who cares about how you feel while you work out :)

Also, it leaves you more mobile for the rest of the day, that might be just a sensation too of course but I liked it.

 

I've been doing interleaved H1 and Stretch days, with sundays off (so 3xH1 + 3xS every week) and the 3days schedule (ABA/BAB) in the afternoon. During deload week I reduced the amount of morning workouts as well.

 

The problem is keeping up with that pace, I'm not always able to train that way because of available time, but if I could I think I'd stick with it.