This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Foundation One vs Building the Gymnastic Body

Started by Gym Kirk, August 10, 2014 · 10 Replies · 671 Views

Gym Kirk

I recently acquired Coach Sommers book : Building the Gymnastic Body and really like it. I like the fact that I can take exercises that I'm already doing and I choose a variation that will allow the specified rep range. Then I can add static work to supplement. Over the last year and a half of trying different things, I arrived at the same conclusion - lower rep ranges, controlled tempo, and slower progression works really well for me building strength. With that knowledge I was attempting to modify the Stronglifts 5x5 program with Bodyweight until I discovered the book which basically does just that (+ more). The whole layout makes perfect sense to me and it falls in line with what I've learned about myself. I'm curious why Foundation One was created and why it uses a different template. I shied away from it not because it wasn't working, but because I felt it worked more core and not as much upper body. Please note that I began Foundation One at the beginning of my fitness journey. Also note that I'm not bashing the program in any way, I'm just sharing my honest opinion from someone who is inexperienced. I've tried a lot of things since then, and need to go back. I'm sure my thoughts will be different now. Also my goals haven't been gymnastics related. Coach Sommer's book would be the least disruptive to my current regimen. How does it compare to the foundation series?

Daniel Burnham

Not nearly as complete. BtGB turned out to be too advanced for people who lacked basic mobility and strength that coach took for granted in his own athletes from a very young age.

Basically what happened is people progressed ok on BtGB but them stalled out and couldn't keep going. There were major deficits on adults that needed to be addressed first. In my opinion foundation has elements hat should be mastered before doing lifting or any other routine. This is true up until foundation 2 at least.

Problems start to manifest themselves in poor activation and positional awareness after a while. These things are ground into you by the time you start BtGB progression equivalents.

Daniel Burnham

It is super hard to stop what you are doing especially when you are seeing progress. It takes some faith and a giant slice of humble pie to go back and work basics. But I can say for certain it is better in the long run.

Sascha Faltinger

yes, as Daniel said. Trust the programming of foundation and practice the basics for mastery.

Gym Kirk

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback Daniel. My goals have changed since a year and a half ago which is why I'm back looking at Foundation One again. I have a follow up question regarding Foundation One. If the goal is to gain foundational strength, Coach Sommer mentioned (in the book) that low reps were best. Why are some of the rep ranges much higher in F1, like the Pseudo Planch Push Up, instead of changing the progression upon reaching a mastery of 5 reps like described in the book?

It's hard to have faith in a program being a complete beginner when everyone has similar claims. After a year and a half of filtering, there are very few websites I reference as good information. This is one of them. I think I will take your advice and finish the Foundation Series instead of following the book. One more question. Assuming my strength is where I left off. It won't be long until I finish a few progressions in F1 while one set, is lagging way behind. Do I just progress the appropriate exercises to F2 while others stay at F1?

Salivanth

Yes, you should move up in the exercises you're capable of performing while staying at the ones you're not, even if this causes a large gulf in how far you've progressed on certain elements. (Like, MN/PE6 vs. HBP/PE15 or something)

Jeremy Huston
Gym Kirk said:

If the goal is to gain foundational strength, Coach Sommer mentioned (in the book) that low reps were best. Why are some of the rep ranges much higher in F1, like the Pseudo Planch Push Up, instead of changing the progression upon reaching a mastery of 5 reps like described in the book?

 

These are the "easy" exercises.  You have to build connective tissue and endurance before you can really safely handle the strength elements.  A little mental toughness is a good thing too.

Keegan

I'd suggest listening to the free webinar (it's on the course portal and free for all those who have purchased F1), in it Coach explains his reasoning for the higher rep ranges and TUT on earlier exercises.

Gym Kirk

What a great webinar. Just what I needed to hear. I love the coach's attitude, especially the first answer about plateaus. I found his information insightful. I see mobility differently now, and liked how he describes it as healing our bodies. You can tell he is a great coach from the interview. Any how, thanks for letting me know about it. It cleared things up for me.

Magnus Sigurdsson

Can anyone share a link to the webinar referenced in previous answers?

Geir Eikelia

Hi I can’t find the webinar could anyone post a link thanks