I've heard from a few places on the net (Including, IIRC, one of Robb Wolf's podcasts featuring Coach Sommer) that sitting has really screwed up the mobility of Westerners compared to the Asian countries who squat a lot as a resting position.
What I was wondering is, am I sabotaging my Foundation progress somewhat by continuing to sit at a desk all day? Would I be better off to use a standing desk instead? If so, how much of a difference is it likely to make?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Will a standing desk improve my Foundation progress?
Started by Salivanth, August 10, 2014 · 7 Replies · 259 Views
I don't know but you'll be swapping one set of problems for another. If you can, mix it up. I lie down with my screen etc on the floor in the hope that it will improve my posture and ABH ROM. A timer goes off every 5 mins during which I must either raise straight legs or arch back for 5secs.
LateStarter@46 said:I don't know but you'll be swapping one set of problems for another. If you can, mix it up. I lie down with my screen etc on the floor in the hope that it will improve my posture and ABH ROM. A timer goes off every 5 mins during which I must either raise straight legs or arch back for 5secs.
Could you elaborate on that first sentence? How would I be swapping one set of problems for another?
The first thought that came to mind was pooling of blood in the lower limbs if you are static. If you google 'risks associated with standing' you'll find more. It would seem that the ideal situation is to be able to move frequently.
LateStarter@46 said:The first thought that came to mind was pooling of blood in the lower limbs if you are static. If you google 'risks associated with standing' you'll find more. It would seem that the ideal situation is to be able to move frequently.
How much moving counts as moving? I find I tend to move around more when standing than I do when sitting, simply because it's easy to just walk back and forth while I'm thinking / waiting for something to load.
Bottom line up front? I would say give the standing desk a try. Only then can you know if it works for you (and you're goals, both known and unknown).
I have been doing it since Febuary this year and really enjoy it. That being said, I would say with almost certainty that it has had no impact on my Foundation progress (you mileage may vary).
I enjoy it for various other reason (improved immediate attention and productivity, increased metabolism, etc - google the benefits). As I work in the military, I end up remaining standing after morning PT which is probably good for ensuring my muscles are not shortened after exercise (speculating here). I agree with LateStarter about the possible detriments - but I am not working as a Nurse and on my feet for 16 hours a day. At most, I probably spend nearly 6 hours per day standing (once you take out lunch and other breaks). It also means when I do take a break and sit, it feels very rewarding... even more so when you finally get home at night! ![]()
- Callum
No, I don't believe you will notice an improvement in Foundation progress to be honest.
My experience is long stints of sitting ie years and years. I don't recommend this.
You need to do some major work to undo this. F1 is good, but not complete for sedentary, untrained individuals - we await S1, but get started.
Tight hip flexors will need to be stretched especially, as well as your whole body. Really stretched and new ROM achieved to start undoing the sitting. This is a worthy project.
A standing desk will only help so much, but is a good start. I did it for a month and decided I didn't want to have a desk/computer based job any more in this lifetime. I hope to be able to maintain this - who knows?
Floor based living will also help.
Squatting, hanging.
YOLO
I'm in the same boat. I am angling for an adjustable height desk, but for the time being you just have to work within the confines of what is acceptable in your workplace and get creative.
There's nothing wrong with sitting if it's only for short periods and you maintain good posture. The problems come when you are sitting for long periods and inevitably you lose focus and revert to some bad habit or other. As latestarter says, standing for long periods could also be problematic, so the bottom line is to mix it up so you're not doing any one thing for too long.
Some ideas I've had:
- Finding an excuse to walk around the office periodically. Take the long route to the toilet.
- Squatting
- Seated piriformis stretch
- Sitting in as wide a straddle as possible (knees bent)
- Kneeling (concentrate on activating the glutes and stretching the hip flexors)
- Seated hamstring and glute stretches
- Sitting with my legs extended and horizontal
- Hip flexor stretches when you stand up
- Reaching overhead and extending the spine
- Holding the back or arms of your chair and pushing the elbows back to stretch the pecs
- Neck stretches
- Finger and wrist stretches
I'm sure there are plenty more
I think there's probably scope for getting away with quite a lot at work if you argue on the basis of the damage sitting is doing to your long-term health. Taking a few days off with back pain might also help persuade them. An idea which just came to me is to establish a routine whereby you do the same thing at a certain time each day. Alternatively you could just focus on what you feel your body needs at the time.