Foam rolling

Started by Awesssss, August 9, 2014 · 16 Replies · 3,666 Views

Awesssss

Hello guys.

Lately I've been foam rolling, well not really. I've used a tennis ball, and it has been a help, especially for me feets. So I've decided to buy a real foam roller, but I'm not sure which one would suit my purpose best.

My main goal is to open up my shoulders (I use stretching and dislocates too), but I might aswell use it for the rest of my body too.

Anyways, what kind of foam roller do you recommend? And what kind of pain can I expect since the tennis ball was quite rough.

TANSTAAFL

The rumble roller seems to be the best all around. I've used it and it's awesome...definitely beats my yoga mat taped to a pvc pipe :unsure:. I would get the long one of the firmer style unless travel is an issue, then rock the smaller one.

 

Also, you don't want to go too hardcore right away. Use less weight if a tennis ball is bothering ya...it can be extremely uncomfortable, but you don't want to feel super sore the next day which can indicate bruising, etc.

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah, i'd really love to use a rumble roller :) i havent used one but i have used everything from my knuckles/steady fingers to the barrel of my indo board and its served fine, as long as you know when you're touching what and how to not hurt yourself. #truestory

Cole Dano

Rumble roller is good, but IMO the differences between rollers effectiveness isn't that huge. More a question of taste and preference. But like Mac vs PC, people can develop strong opinions on this stuff.

 

I'm the kind of guy that wants to try everything, and having cycled thorough all the options have gone full circe and am back to plain ole' no nonsense foam being as good as anything. 

 

IMO best strategy is just to start building up a nice collection of self massage tools, various shapes and sizes. Balls, backnobbber tools etc.  

Murray Truelove
Cole Dano said:

Rumble roller is good, but IMO the differences between rollers effectiveness isn't that huge. More a question of taste and preference. But like Mac vs PC, people can develop strong opinions on this stuff.

I'm the kind of guy that wants to try everything, and having cycled thorough all the options have gone full circe and am back to plain ole' no nonsense foam being as good as anything.

IMO best strategy is just to start building up a nice collection of self massage tools, various shapes and sizes. Balls, backnobbber tools etc.

Totally agree, I love my rumble roller but I've also got a lacrosse, golf and tennis ball plus a dowel for multiple ways to attack my tight spots.

Awesssss

Thank you guys for your replies!

The rumble roller is quite expensive here in my country, I think I'll go for a standard foam roller for now and a lacrosse ball as well.

Murray Truelove
Paulizdaman said:

Thank you guys for your replies!

The rumble roller is quite expensive here in my country, I think I'll go for a standard foam roller for now and a lacrosse ball as well.

If a lacrosse ball is too intense you can always use a tennis ball.

TANSTAAFL
Murray Truelove said:

If a lacrosse ball is too intense you can always use a tennis ball.

Ah, coming full circle is always so satisfying :mellow: .

Murray Truelove

Lol didn't realise. Still, good advice is with hearing twice.

Awesssss
Murray Truelove said:

If a lacrosse ball is too intense you can always use a tennis ball.

Sometimes when my training is hard, or some exercise is not only difficult but boring as well, but I do it because it's necessary, I just close my eyes and picture myself doing a stalder press, a V-sit and other feats in front of a girl I very much adore.

Lol.

Alan Tseng

I don't like foam roller since they lose their effectiveness very quickly. Also don't like tennis balls since I always feel like I'm about to break them. Though lacrosse ball does feel very intense when you first use it

Alessandro Mainente

search for "neuromuscular foam roller".

Jurre

Is there a thread/page/website or whatever with some techniques for the tennisball and foam roller method? 
And which techniques do you like the most?
Normally just roll on a tennisball, but I have no idea what the hell i'm doing really.

TANSTAAFL

I've always loved these. Other than that, best bet is The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook.

Jurre

Cheers, will look it up!

Geni

I use a plain PVC tube! Best $5 spent ever.

The regular foam rollers get soft & it adds up. 

I also have a collection of rubber balls & plastic ones. Different strengths.

 

There are same awesome tutorials out there. My favorite is from Dean Somerset FoamRolling 101. 8 hours of seminar. Muscle Anatomy, how fascia works etc (eye opener) & than techniques. 

 

Good luck!

Geni

yamad

My favorite is the M80 roller. It has grooves in it that work better for me than the standard smooth foam rollers and it is just the right density. I also have a variety of balls, including the MobilityWOD Supernova which is my preferred ball. I don't tend to use my lacrosse balls anymore except for my feet.

 

That said, for me tennis balls provide almost no pressure at all, so it sounds like you and I might be pretty different!