Effortless muscle up

Started by Hardy Evans, August 9, 2014 · 14 Replies · 5,916 Views

Hardy Evans

Forgive my ignorance, but as I'm still relatively new to the world of GST and I've never before trained with a competitive gymnast, I must know if muscle ups really become this effortless:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YI1dy_swRxc

Is this ease of execution common? I thought I had gotten pretty good at strict ring MU until I saw this one. How far along is one in GST before this is doable? Just fantasizing here...

Now, back to Foundation!

Daniel Burnham

Yes. That is common. Eventually it becomes barely noticeable. About like a pullup.

Muscle up is still a beginner move.

Jurre

That muscle up was crazy smooth, damn. Crazy if you think how many people are still struggling with an 'easy'  muscle up, if you see that.

Coach Sommer

It should be noted that the 'ease' with which that MU was demonstrated is a direct result of being able to safely and effectively perform more advanced straight arm work (e.g. iron cross, maltese etc).

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

gohei_

 

I personally find this one, at the beginning of the clip, a lot more impressive.

Hardy Evans

I completely agree, the Andreas Aguilar one is much better. But I've heard many many people refer to that as one of the greatest MU of all time, so I figured it was an exception to the typical MU strength of a gymnast. But perhaps it is not.

I've been very tempted to purchase rings one just to see what the rMU training looks like, but I know it'll be much too tempting. In 2-3 years hopefully I'll be ready.

Joshua Chan

This muscle up by Gregor Saksida, GB member, is also quite impressive. 

Jurre

Will an simple straight arm exercise like the backlever (or perhaps even planche leans) have a same (albeit smaller) result? 

Christian

Yeah, that was very nice.

Hardy Evans
Jurre said:

Will an simple straight arm exercise like the backlever (or perhaps even planche leans) have a same (albeit smaller) result? 

I'm curious about this also. My guess would be that the straight arm strength -> MU carryover has a lot to do with elbow and brachialis conditioning. I'm gathering this from the fact that in the GB curriculum the ideal progression seems to be straddle planche and RC mastery, followed by back lever and muscle up training, which come in tandem. However this is just speculation, and I'd love to hear the opinion of someone more knowledgable than I.

Jurre

I´d imagine there is a carry over, though it isn´t huge. I think backlever training will improve bicep strength and pulling strength in general.

Jon Douglas

Climbing a lot of rope will do more for your mu than pl leans or bl. Pullup, dip, transition. Nothing mystical, just systematic prep :)

red1392

He has nothing on this little guy 

tennissports
Jurre said:

I´d imagine there is a carry over, though it isn´t huge. I think backlever training will improve bicep strength and pulling strength in general.

if you don't have a solid planche strength foundation, back lever training might be a bit risky