Interesting article. Data is not provided and I'm not quite sure about their selection of exercises but nevertheless still cool.
5 elite athletes compete in fitness contest.
Started by Daniel Burnham, August 7, 2014 · 1 Replies · 1,935 Views
This was a very interesting experiment. It has been an age-old debate, and I think this a relatively fair way to make a determination.
Some flaws (or at least limitations) I saw in this exact test are: the choice of athletes and events were very British. For example, selecting a rugby instead of a hockey or lacrosse player, when the latter two would likely demonstrate similar characteristics, albeit with heightened accuracy - especially the lacrosse player. Speaking of the accuracy test; darts are less natural than throwing a ball, which I thought would have been a better indicator. I loved the choice of a traceur, however the caliber of athlete is subjective: sure he is a "professional," but what exactly does that mean? Perhaps he is sponsored, but is he a fair representative to place against a national-team member gymnast or weightlifter? I doubt it. A track athlete - either sprinter or high- or long-jumper - would have been better in my estimation.
In the end, the gymnast won. I don't think that result would have changed much.