This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on progression in F1

Started by Jake Oster, August 6, 2014 · 1 Replies · 126 Views

Jake Oster

I am currently on HBP/PE2 4x12r, however on my last set was only able to perform 10 reps.  Should I stay at the same week until I hit all 12r on all 4 sets?  Or just advance one week as follows?  Also, on my last set when I only got 10r, I paused for ten seconds and got the last 2r in.  Is that something I should be doing or just hit as many reps as possible until failure?

Sensei JP

If you can't perform 4x12, you probably won't be able to do 4x15.  You can try it, but I would stick with the lower 4x12.  I've been doing this for RC, where 4x12 started off near impossible, then got easier, then got easier, then I got sick (-_-) and they became impossible again, and are slowly becoming easier again.  Once I'm satisfied that my form doesn't deteriorate, I'll try for mastery.  But it's not a race.

 

Be sure to still deload every 4th week, though.

 

As for your second question, many people report feeling burned out if they try to do 'top up' reps after reaching failure.  It's a judgement call.  Doing it one time, to go from 10 to 12 reps, prolly won't kill you.  If you have to do it for multiple sets, for multiple exercises, or for increasingly larger reps, it suggests you need to back off.  It's definitely safer to stop when you reach such technical failure, though.