I have a pretty good back roll to handstand on floor and I'm now learning the blind change on High bar but it appears that it's really difficult to do it so does anyone has some good tips or a progression to do this element?
Blind change/turn
Started by lyzis, June 8, 2009 · 10 Replies · 3,038 Views
It is merely a progression of the swing 1/2 turn.
Gymnast.com had a pretty good article on it before it went down and I saved the flv's for it. I can upload them somewhere if you want to download them.
Another good drill for blind change is back extension roll early 1/2 turn to prone position.
Thank you for your reply Blairbob!
So if you can upload them somewhere it would be great because I really have some trouble to perform this movement...
Thank's a lot Blairbob!
However there's something I still don't understand: through the different exemples shown in this clip, we can see 2 technics to perform this movement. In the first one, the 1/2 turn is initiated by the chest and in the second one the 1/2 turn is initiated by the back which allow the support hand to directly be in under grip!
So which one should I learn and is the best for later skills?
I don't recall the videos off of memory. Also, bare in mind the gymnast.com article on the blind change was probably 7 videos but I only downloaded the ones I thought worthwhile to me.
When I think blind change, I think giant 1/2 turn to HS on the way up versus doing it 1/2 turn on the way down. It is merely progressively working the 1/2 turn shooting the toes up and cork-screwing them into the turn. You can do these so you do swing 1/2 and after the turn swing the 1/2 turn the other way back and forth till you build them higher and higher.
It's just the toes with the body in a hollow shape.
Ok Blairbob thank you for all!
I said something wrong in my previous post all the 1/2 turn are initiated by the chest!
I will work on it this afternoon and I hope this post will help everyone who get some troubles to perform this move too!
A last thing I would to know: I'm starting my forward handstand pirouette on my left hand (I mean Ifirst move my right hand to the left) so my support arm during the blind change should be the left or the right?
I'm asking this question for not being handicaped for later skills...
Hi Lyzis
I was just wondering if you have any tips for maintaining straight arms on the back roll to HS? I seem to be struggling with that part of the action. I can hold a freestanding HS ok, and am also learning the turns too, but just cant seem to get this darn move! ![]()
Any help/comments would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks
Leo
First work on doing the back extension in the shapes of tuck, pike, pushup and after you can do it to prone/pushup; focus on shooting the toes at a higher angle than horizontal.
For your blind, use your left hand/arm as I would use my right, I think. I haven't swung 1/2 turns or giants in a really long time since I've had access to a high bar that's worth a damn.