So ever since I began lifting weights nearly two years ago, I struggled massively to recruit my left and right arms/shoulders evenly. If i wasn't explicitly focusing on trying to push as evenly as possible, by the end of multiple sets to fatigue of an exercise, my right side would be dead and my left side would feel barely worked out. Even when I tried to recruit my two sides evenly, my right side would still work harder and feel more tired (and it grew a bit bigger and stronger).
After a while I worked out the issue was actually my left shoulder joint, and in an effort presumably to protect itself my body limits the power output in my left shoulder somewhat and shifts my weight distribution naturally so I use the right side more. I don't know how long I had this problem before weight lifting since I was inactive physically for quite a few years, but I certainly don't remember having this issue as a kid (though of course it may have been there and I just hadn't noticed).
To put it simply, my left shoulder simply feels "loose" in its socket. My right one feels tight and robust and rotating in any direction (with or without weight) feels safe and solid- basically it feels like I imagine my left one should too. The left however, feels extremely vulnerable in certain positions and movements (biggest issue when rotating like backwards arm swings especially at the top of the movement). It almost feels like its always about to "click" but doesn't quite- indeed I've injured myself in the left shoulder several times quite painfully doing trivial things like lifting a mat overhead or whilst extending my arms forcefully whilst trampolining. The shoulder just pops slightly and causes a massive spike of pain internally in the shoulder (it has nothing to do with the major muscle heads).
Now it doesn't make too much difference for weight lifting- just causes slight imbalances but since no movements are overly taxing of the shoulder in vulnerable positions I just ignored the problem.
However moving to GST has highlighted the problem significantly. For instance before I would do a plank with a straight body line but no scapula protraction and would not really notice the imbalance too much. Now doing planks in a gymnastic style as demonstrated in the F1 vids puts my left shoulder in that vulnerable position and it feels far weaker and not structurally safe. Same issue when I try a tuck planche- right shoulder feels solid, but left one feels like it might almost at any minute "pop" out of position slightly and cause me massive pain and an injury.
Does anyone else have any experience with a similar issue with their shoulders? How to rehab the issue (if its at all possible)? I'm guessing over time the iMs in HBP and H1 should make my shoulders a lot more robust (and mobile) but it feels like the shoulder isn't quite in the socket right beyond just having an injury in the left shoulder...
Any ideas? ![]()
As an interesting aside I noticed my left trap is noticeably more developed than my right trap- perhaps a protective mechanism? ![]()