This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Xiaopeng question

Started by Duff, August 4, 2014 · 8 Replies · 433 Views

Duff

I see two ways of performing them:

 

- with ample torso rotation, where the arm is parallel to the shoulder girdle(the way it's demonstrated in F1)

 

- with minimal rotation

 

The second way to me feels like a better shoulder(especially anterior deltoid) stretch. Is this movement designed to improve shoulder mobility of increase abduction strength or both?

 

Thoughts?

Alessandro Mainente

Minimal rotation it's the goal to achieve. 

Lipp

I'm with you Duff.  I am not entirely sure where I am supposed to be with this movement.  Should I be feeling a stretch or am I working on a strength aspect?  I've done some searching here in the forums on this particular aspect of the movement and haven't felt I've found a good answer.  I guess the question is "What exactly does this movement focus on?  Where should I be feeling this movement advance me?  As of right now I just feel that it tires my shoulders and makes my pushups more difficult. HAHA.  Even with the 5lb DBs!

Cole Dano

Minimal rotation, but it must be enough that the hand never comes out of the median plane.

 

This is active flexibility, so you should be feeling both the strength and the stretch.

 

Xiaopengs are pure gold.

Vincearoo

You should be lifting your hand into a handstand position as far as possible. The rotation milks every extra degree you can get. As Cole said, as your flexibility increases, you can begin to minimize the rotation.

Duff

Good, I thought so. Thanks for sorting it out, guys.

kimura

I don't think I was milking this exercise for all it's worth! Glad I read this thread

Iguanus

I don't quite get it. What are you calling minimal rotation and median plane? From my perspective, the model on the vídeo is clearly doing a circle that's somewhere between the spine (vertical) axis, the shoulders (horizontal) axis. Also, it's not exactly a circle, as it opens on the rear motion, but I guess it's the "passable" standard, not the "Golden" one.

Cole Dano

It's not a true circle due to the rotation in the torso but look at Dillon's arm while he's doing them. It only points forward, straight up (by the ear), backward or straight down, never to the side (except when he has to move it bit out at the bottom so the weight doesn't hit him). That's what I mean by the median plane.

 

Keeping the arm in the median plane is the top priority. The more you twist from the torso the easier it will be to do. Once you are good with a large twist, try to reduce it a bit and you'll find you're going to have to do more from the shoulder.