This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Equipment Substitution for Straddle Running Man (sPL/PE2>iM)

Started by JimV, August 4, 2014 · 21 Replies · 595 Views

JimV

I searched for this and, surprisingly, could only find one brief thread on this topic. Does everyone else have one of those things (is it a pommel?) in their living room?

 

I used the one suggestions I found and tried the arm of a comfortable chair this morning - it's sort of ok. But I won't be able to do all the PE3,4,5 iM's on it because I can't really brace myself.

 

Any suggestions appreciated!

Jeremy Huston

I usually use a bench press bench but I've used a park bench and coffee table too.

TANSTAAFL

I use a small round outdoor patio table. Probably not as comfortable as a pommel, but comfort has never played a big role around these parts.

Jennifer

I use a dining room chair that the kids ruined.   It no longer has a back and I just lay my body through the part where the back used to be.

 

I've also done it on the low concrete wall at the park.

Jeremy Huston
Jennifer said:

I use a dining room chair that the kids ruined.  

Did they ruin it or make it better?

lnick1975

I use a large Rubbermaid container with stuff in it. Sometimes I use 2 stacked up.

m6shifter

glute ham stand w/out the foot pads

Rayne-William

I have used the chair at my desk with the back removed and a playground platform.

mark

Workbench.

Micawberian

I use my gigantic army backback filled with books so it sits up straight and then I put some books against the back so it doesn't fall. Then I just lay on top of it and crank out my reps! Yes...the backback is huge.

The Hansenator

I use an exercise ball. I've tried it with a plyo box and that works well if you put down some padding.

kimura

I have a friend who also does GST and he said he does it on all fours. I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it this way but I couldn't think of a reason not to. What do you all think about that?

TANSTAAFL
kimura said:

I have a friend who also does GST and he said he does it on all fours. I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it this way but I couldn't think of a reason not to. What do you all think about that?

It would be an ok sub if you had nothing for the day, but not permanent or even semi-permanently. Would definitely change the musculature used as it turns into more of a core exercise and you get less focus on the hip/glute. Not a bad exercise, just not a great sub.

Murray Truelove

I use the arm of our couch, I've also got a piano stool but it doesn't quite feel study enough.

Eric Baum

I use a big garbage can upside down.

Jeremy Huston
kimura said:

I have a friend who also does GST and he said he does it on all fours. I hadn't heard of anyone else doing it this way but I couldn't think of a reason not to. What do you all think about that?

That will be tough when you need both legs in the air at the same time.

fazool

Rectangular kitchen table

kimura
tex0413 said:

That will be tough when you need both legs in the air at the same time.

For sure but maybe just for the first one. Though I could see how it would change the dynamics of the exercise

andrewclarkeyyy

I use my kitchen bench

JimV

Thanks, with the recommendations I've tried the chair, plyo ball, bench, but the best so far is my son's bass amp.

I'm not done experimenting, this same equipment is used at least through PE6!

dritar

One of those wooden plyo boxes.

Kyle West

You could use a GHR or reverse hyper, but sounds like you're looking for an at home solution. You could try elevating some sturdy sawhorses and then lay a piece of wood over them. Something around 2ft wide, 4ft long, and 1in thick would probably be best. You could sandwich boards together to make it sturdier. Tie the boards to the sawhorses with some cord (so you can brace/won't tip), put some padding over top, and you're good to go. You might have to weigh down one of the sawhorses to counterbalance your weight. Also, you could try putting a rectangular ottoman on top of a sturdy table or something similar. As long as you brace it well, weigh it down, or tie it down, it should work as a slightly less involved set-up.