This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Plange Push Up Form Check

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), August 3, 2014 · 14 Replies · 371 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Comments/tips appreciated!

 

 

 

Thanks!

 

Cam

Damon Amato

I'm not even close to there yet and I don't see the video for it, but it appears you're really kyphotic in your thoracic spine which may be causing a huge arch in your lumbar spine.  I think the question is: is that ok or are you supposed to be hollow throughout the movement?

SoyeBoy

Your body line is wrong (back is far too arched), you want a tucked pelvis throughout and fully protracted scaps at the top of each rep.

Some points to help you:

- Mastery of the earlier Straddle Planche progressions will help you here. Really focus on full scap protraction in scap PUs and combine this scap protraction with PPT in the plank variations.

- In particular, it might be useful to record your plank position and make sure that you can perform it correctly. Ensure that you can hit this position at the top of every rep on regular push-ups (HBP/PE2) before advancing to PPPs.

- Start PPPs with minimal lean, building up to mastery at that level of lean, before going into a further lean. Repeat the process until you have hit mastery at the level of lean portrayed in the demo vid. DO NOT increase both lean and volume at the same time.

 

Hope this helps.

Alessandro Mainente

maintain the PPT, protract the scaps, fully extend the arms into pl lean and hold the top position

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks SoyeBoye and Alex.

 

I'll record my push up shortly to see if I'm even doing that correctly.

 

Alex - what is PPT? And do you mean, protract the scaps, extend the arms into the lean and hold, and THEN do the PPP?

 

As in, that's the sequence before doing the PPP?

 

Thanks guys

 

Cam

SoyeBoy

PPT is Posterior Pelvic Tilt. It essentially means a tucked pelvis / hips.

Alex is saying that you should make sure that you're in the correct position before descending in the pseudo planche pushup.

What you're saying is correct ("And do you mean, protract the scaps, extend the arms into the lean and hold, and THEN do the PPP?"), except you have not included the tucked pelvis cue, and is the sequence to make sure that you are in the correct position. Once you get used to the sequence (which, by the way, is the exact same as a planche lean in the sPL progressions) you will no longer need to consciously focus on holding the position each time, it will just happen.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Ok that's great instruction - thanks very much.

 

I'll give that a go and re-post a vid.

 

Cam

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hey guys - I'm just realizing, I don't think I'm clear on what "protracted scaps" means.... I think I might have it mixed up with "retracted scaps".

 

Could someone please clarify this for me?

 

Thanks!

 

Cam

Adriano Augusto

If you're following F1, protraction is the action that you do with your scaps in the highest part of sPL/PE1, Scapular Shrugs.

You cannot do quality PPP reps if you're not mastered or trying to master Planche Leans, sPL/PE5. They have a huge connection.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Got it! Thanks guys.

 

Yep, I had those backwards  :lol:

 

Will go back to pushups and work on scap protraction on my next workout and see how I do.

 

Cam

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Adriano - do recommend holding off on the PPP until I'm working on planche leans?

Vincearoo

No, do your PPP. Start with a lean that you manage and increase it as your get stronger.

Gregory Bland

Anyone else feel PPPs are in an odd place in the HBP PEs? Seem far too early? I think 5x10 PPP (pe3) with good form and a good lean is an order of magnitude harder than 5x5 bar dips (pe6) and still much harder than the bench dips/slow negatives dips (which imo are harder than 5x5 bar dips because of the massive increase in TUT). As others have said it can be hard to do PPPs well until you are working on planche leans from the sPL PEs as well...

Keegan

Lots of people feel the same way. On the bright side though, once you master PPP you should fly through a few progressions. :-)

Coach has also mentioned (as have several of the GB certified forum members), that it's often a good idea to gradually increase the lean from push-ups until you eventually reach mastery degree of lean; you don't have to jump right to a full PPp, especially if you haven't yet mastered PLL.