This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck Squats

Started by Brian Tait, August 3, 2014 · 4 Replies · 216 Views

Brian Tait

Hi I just started the foundations course.  I'm finding the deck squats impossible but I tried the Cossack squats and side to side squats and can manage them fine.  When I try the deck squat I just can't seem to shift my balance far enough forward to get my weight over my feet and then stand up.  I just roll back every time.

 

Ten years ago I suffered three fractured vertebrae in a bike accident and lost a couple of inches in height.  I also have very long legs and wonder if this might not be helping things.

 

Any help or advice would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

 

Brian in Scotland

Murray Truelove

Part of deck squats is technique and can take a bit of practice. You can start by holding a counterweight (a dumbbell) and see if that helps you into your feet.

Ben Lawlis

Keep going with them. I could never get to my feet, but after a few weeks off sucking at them I'm now getting up to my feet. I still suck, but the practice is making a difference.

Damon Amato

I had to master rolling back on a 6" step before being able to do it from the floor.  I also have a bad back, though not as violent an injury as yours.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Hi Brian,

 

It took me a couple of months to get these - I was extremely frustrated at the beginning.

 

What helped me was using a 1.5" mat to roll off of and on the the floor...this little bit of extra height allowed me to get used to the movement.

 

The next cue that made a big difference for me was really keeping my chest tight to my knees throughout the roll forward. Once I got that, everything clicked.

 

BTW, I have very long legs for my height as well... probably doesn't make it easier, but it can be done!