During Stiff Leg Windmills (MN/PE1>iM) I lack ROM due to what I believe is a hamstring issue. When I do the exercise, I get the "ropes in the back of the legs" feeling whenever my upper body approaches parallel to the ground. I also think increasing hamstring flexibility might help with my Tuck-Ups as well, as I lack compression at the top of the movement.
For those of you who've gone through this kind of thing; what are the best hamstring stretches to do to improve ROM there? Alternatively, if I'm wrong about what my issue is, what should I be working on?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Hamstring stretches
Started by Salivanth, August 3, 2014 · 8 Replies · 376 Views
Outside of your foundation workouts, sitting and standing forward bend are decent hamstring stretches. You will need to learn how to relax and be more comfortable with the tension as your hamstrings begins to lengthen. Foam rolling your hamstrings may help.
The manna integrated mobility exercises are there to help you lengthen your hamstrings and develop a fully closed pike.
Don't worry about your current range of motion, it will get better over time as you continue to do your best.
GoldenEagle said:Outside of your foundation workouts, sitting and standing forward bend are decent hamstring stretches. You will need to learn how to relax and be more comfortable with the tension as your hamstrings begins to lengthen. Foam rolling your hamstrings may help.
The manna integrated mobility exercises are there to help you lengthen your hamstrings and develop a fully closed pike.
Don't worry about your current range of motion, it will get better over time as you continue to do your best.
Thanks very much. Another question I meant to ask but forgot, and your post reminded me. How much tension is okay in the stretch? I've read from a couple of different sources now that if it begins to hurt, that's too much, and that the body will resist the stretch. Is this the case with hamstring stretches too, or should I push it further?
You should evaluate yourself to determine whether you just have tight hamstrings, or if the problem stems from anterior pelvic tilt. You may want to look at hip flexor mobility and glute and abdominal (particularly oblique) strength.
Stiff leg windmill IS a hamstring stretch. Try to pull yourself lower with your core.
Salivanth said:Thanks very much. Another question I meant to ask but forgot, and your post reminded me. How much tension is okay in the stretch? I've read from a couple of different sources now that if it begins to hurt, that's too much, and that the body will resist the stretch. Is this the case with hamstring stretches too, or should I push it further?
Questions like this are kind of difficult to answer because there is so much relativity involved and everyone has different "Pain" thresholds.
During your foundation workouts, focus on going as far as you are capable.
Outside of your foundation workouts, go to the point of tolerable discomfort and to get deeper into the stretch let gravity do its thing as you relax more. If you push your body too far, you will experience acute pain and or your muscles will be sore the next morning.
Personally speaking, while I am doing standing forward bend tolerable discomfort is placing my fist on the ground and I start to feel acute pain when I press my open palms onto the floor.
If you're feeling the stretch in the back of your legs when you do stiff legged windmills, then you're on the right path. These are an invaluable exercise when you learn to do them right. It's worth experimenting with different weights: a lower weight is safer and will require you to pull yourself down with your hip flexors more, which is good practice. A heavier weight may allow you to achieve a deeper stretch, but only if you're strong enough to maintain good form. It can be beneficial to hold the bottom position to accustom your body to new ROM.
Jefferson curls are really good too, but it can take a while to develop the spinal strength to be able to load up heavy. A possible alternative is a one-legged variation with little or no weight. One-legged stretches can be particularly potent, since they allow you to concentrate all your weight and attention on a single leg at a time. I also like supine single leg (sometimes with a partner) and forward bends with one foot elevated. These latter are amenable to PNF and long holds.
As GoldenEagle says, pain is subjective. I would say though that if your hamstrings don't feel sore for a couple of days afterwards, then there is probably scope to work harder. Rather than just keep pushing further though, it might be the case that you just need to hold that really uncomfortable position which signifies your current maximum ROM.
Aadil Siddiqi said:You should evaluate yourself to determine whether you just have tight hamstrings, or if the problem stems from anterior pelvic tilt. You may want to look at hip flexor mobility and glute and abdominal (particularly oblique) strength.
How would I look at glute strength? Oblique-wise, I've been able to hold a 45-second forearm side plank on each side for about three months. (This was before I started Foundation.)
You can look at some of Bret Contreras's stuff. You should also check your pelvic tilt in exercises like planks and pushups (without trying to alter it, just see where it wants to go) and whether your glute bridges are lower-back or glute dominant.