This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE6 questions

Started by Bro', August 2, 2014 · 3 Replies · 138 Views

Bro'

Hey everyone,

 

So my understanding is that for HLL in general, you shouldn't engage your lats to maximise the work done by your abs and hip flexors.

 

Now, my problem is just that, I can't seem to be able disengage the lats when doing this exercise. First reaction was 'did I actually master PE5 without engaging the lats?' and yes, I did. I retested it and could do it without using the lats. 

 

So my questions would be:

 

- Did some of you have the same problem after mastering PE5 and starting PE6?

 

- Are there any cues to avoid engaging the lats? 

 

- If not, or if I'm just not strong enough to apply them, would it be ok to increase volume so my abs get stronger and then resetting the progression or is it better to just keep trying to use the lats less and less at weeks 1-4? 

 

I realise the second question might depend more on each individual, but I'm waiting on your experience on this particular PE.  :)

 

Thanks in advance!

Daniel Burnham

So engagement isn't the issue. It's engaging them such that you start yo pull your lower body in front of you to make the movement easier. You need some engagement to hold yourself in place.

Bro'

Well that would make things easier! I guess the only way to know if I use the lats too much is a good old form check then. Thanks Daniel!

Gavin S

I had a problem with this as well. If you reverse your grip to an undergrip this may help to learn to disengage the lats and the shoulders if you are using them too much. Just check your wrists can handle this as well.

 

 For me it was also a feel thing. As I was doing to the reps I would consciously check my shoulder/lat tension and try to relax as much as possible.

 

Another thing to try is to think about pushing the bar away from you. This should keep you fully extended in the shoulders.