This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE1&2--maintain protraction throughout full ROM?

Started by NoHiddenCosts, August 2, 2014 · 5 Replies · 261 Views

NoHiddenCosts

Everyone's favorite buzzwords: scapula and protraction!

 

So I have been doing the pushups with my scapula as protracted as can be through the entire motion because it looked like that was what the athlete in the video does. My chest never touches the ground (my face reaches it first, even with neck stacked).

 

Then I read a post from Naterman in the Scap Position thread in Basic Strength: "Push up: You are starting with scaps somewhat protracted but not fully protracted (Unless you want to, which is a good idea because you integrate full ROM serratus work this way), and straight arms. From here, as you approach the ground your serratus stays active so that your scaps stick to the ribcage as they retract smoothly in accordance with the motion. At the bottom they will be close to fully retracted. The reverse happens as you return to starting position (adding a full protraction at the top would be ideal, as that is true serratus work as long as you are keeping the shoulderblade stuck to the ribcage)."

 

So he suggests letting your scapula slowly move to near full retraction at the bottom of the movement... This is rather different and significantly easier compared to what I have been doing.

 

What about you guys? Anyone else been trying to maintain protraction as much as possible? I'm still convinced the video athlete is not retracted much at all at the bottom, but I could be mistaken. (Looking at PE2 video) Doing that would also make sense in prep for PE3, since we are meant to maintain depression and protraction through the PPP.

Alan Tseng

It's not possible to maintain full protraction at the bottom, however still maintain as much protraction as possible for serratus activation

The Hansenator

If I try it that way my shoulder hurts. I've been doing it protracted at the top but retracted as I go down.

Iguanus

I though I was doing it wrong by not using full protraction all the way through. I've been straining a bit trying to do it. As I don't have yet the neural paths right, I usually round my back (as in a planche lean) or have cramps on abs for taking it too hard on them.

 

I think I remember coach saying something in the lines of "it's just a pushup", probably in the same spirit of "just bend your back" for the archs.

 

I'm guessing that it would be ideal to have serratus activation on PE1 and 2, as it would make it way easier to tackle PE3. But perhaps, it's not all that necessary until PE3. Perhaps.

thecolin

I maintain protraction for push ups. I don't think it's neccesary for mastery, but it's a good habit as it translates better to PE3.

Keegan

The athlete in the demo video is clearly not fully retracting his shoulder blades at the bottom of his push-ups, so I would not do so either if you want to master the exercise to GB standards. But Coach has also stated that it is not possible to maintain fully protracted shoulders and perform push-ups correctly either. So some degree of protraction should be maintained throughout the push-up, varying between full at the top to partial at the bottom.

Honestly if you just video yourself performing the exercise, make sure that you are adhering to the form cues "lower the chest all the way to the ground" and "do not allow the body to sag", and compare your video to the demo video you should be able to figure out if you are doing it right. If not then that's what the forum is for; post a form check video and others will help you.