This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

open planche

Started by Alessandro Mainente, August 1, 2014 · 13 Replies · 753 Views

Alessandro Mainente

The title said everything.

the video of courses shows a little high butt, in the best cases i'm trying to emulate the video of course.

I've finally found another element where i will spent a lot of time.

Just to show how much i find it harder i'm actually  at 3x12'' week.

those are my results along the first period (seconds for each sets) , patience and hard work it' all here:

 

654, 664, 666, 66642, 66663, 66665, 66666, (the i use a microcyle with 3x9 and not 3x12'' , i wasn't able to hold it 12''), 965, 985, 994, 997,999, (then i moved over 3x12''), 12 7 4, 12 10 4, 12 11 7, 12 12 6, 12 12 9, 12 12 11, 12 12 12. 

 

it's about 19 training session, 3 sessions a week, 1 months and half.

 

post-1151-0-63280400-1406934570_thumb.pn

 

Daniel Burnham

You are right. Butt is a little high and lean might not quite be deep enough. But to be fair it is hard to balance this progression with big lean. Otherwise seems good. Just make sure you can feel scapula.

I am also on this progression now. Doing ssc for 4 weeks now at 4x10. Feels easy but I am being careful.

Alessandro Mainente

For now i admit that depression it's my focus, protraction it's coming pretty natural. I spent 4 months more on depression on all previous element. i have the sensation of my ribs cage fully compressed  on my spine. I cannot say that is funny. 

Also i noticed a dramatic increase in lean from open tuck and following progression then from tuck to open tuck.

Ravn

Alex, care to share any tips on how you mastered the tuck planche? I've been stuck on 4x18 for quite a while...

Daniel Burnham
Ravn said:

Alex, care to share any tips on how you mastered the tuck planche? I've been stuck on 4x18 for quite a while...

Ravn your leans are good?

Also how long have you been stuck?

Daniel Burnham
alex87 said:

For now i admit that depression it's my focus, protraction it's coming pretty natural. I spent 4 months more on depression on all previous element. i have the sensation of my ribs cage fully compressed on my spine. I cannot say that is funny.

Also i noticed a dramatic increase in lean from open tuck and following progression then from tuck to open tuck.

Perfect description of the scapula control. I think of squeezing serratus very hard.

Ravn

Idk, two months or so... I'm probably just too impatient, plus summer holiday travelling has put me more in maintenance mode.

My leans are good, they've actually been getting better as I've been doing them during my warmups.

kalel
Ravn said:

Alex, care to share any tips on how you mastered the tuck planche? I've been stuck on 4x18 for quite a while...

i would like to know as well.

Alessandro Mainente

well it depends on your current problem. 

I had 2 main problems, grip strength and depression strength. I cannot really said "fortunately" but i had a forearm densification and i've stopped the tuck for a while while doing same fascia release. the problem solved but I've used the previous elements as the leans to increase my depression strength for about 4 months. meanwhile i've completed the RC f4 that gives to me a very good amount of grip strength. in the period of tuck planche i've started to play with hbp pe22 that boosted up my strength over tuck planche.

so basically see your weak point. can you continue the hold but you cannot hold the protraction+depression? work on it. you can maintain them but you have low arms strength? wait for following HBP PE's. i've struggled a lot on tuck planche...about 8 months, i've also use some approaches like finish the prescribed hold time with another easier variation but this only if the stall persisted for more then 1-2 training session.

Mats Trane

A t the Helsinki seminar Coach showed us the open knee PL. We also got the different programming seconds, weeks, deload and so on.

When I got home I started Open Knee PL at once.

This was before foundation had been released. I worked my self up to 5x18 and was stuck. I then hurt my shoulder. I did not hurt it from PL, it was something that came creeping up on me. Then F1 was released and I swallowed my pride and started right from the beginning.

Anyway what I think helps is first of all PATIENCE! This element will take

Longer than others except Manna maybe.

I also raised with only 2 seconds the times I raised. I'm also making sure I'm ROCKSOLID at

a certain level/week before I take it to the

Next level/week. That means that sometimes

I stay 3 weeks at the same level/week. I've also started to focus alot on leaning into the PL. I catch myself pushing into the PL then I just get right down and start over. Leaning is major key and is aometimes forgotten.

Any writing posts on a phone with crappy internet sucks. I'll be back to normal internet in a few days.

Daniel Burnham

Making sure you are really holding the position locked out is where most people fail.  Just holding yourself up is not mastery.  You should not count sets in which you sag down.  That is the biggest mistake people make.  They are more focused on the time and excitement of moving on than the form.

 

Most people will probably notice they can get into straddle planche for at least a few seconds after they master 15 seconds of open tuck planche.  Being rock solid like mats said is the real goal.

Mats Trane

After a frustrating Open sPL training on Sunday, I decided to video my first set today and what did I see? I was protracting BUT not to 100% so for the next set I realy focused on protract and all the sudden it felt much easier to hold. Not easy but no feeling of not being able to complete the set.

Sometimes it's easy to take things for granted when you been doing it for along time.... Especially when you train alone. It's at these times the video camera comes in and tells you the TRUTH!

Josh Wilensky

What is the ideal height of the hips? I am on 4x12s and I find by the last set I can only keep hips parallel with the shoulders. Do they need to be higher? I assume this is due to lack of strength/endurance in the mid back. Should I work on planche leans and bounces to build more strength?

Cole Dano

Hips should be level with the shoulders.