This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Chin hangs

Started by Alexander Egebak, August 1, 2014 · 8 Replies · 352 Views

Alexander Egebak

Hi all.

 

After going through the podcasts I have been mixing in the idea of chin hangs for biceps prehab. However I find that when I am hanging (currently 2 x 20 secs, been on it for 1 week) the body part that is being taxed the most and fatigues fastest is my core that is trying to prevent me from excessive piking. Is this normal?

Vincearoo

Probably.

I remember using GTG hard for pull ups when I rock climbed. I abused it and went three days of doing probably 5 or 6 sets of 20 a day. The third day I was forced to stop because my abs were completely fried.

Awesssss

I've added in "chin hangs" as well into my routine for elbow/biceps prehab. I didn't hear it from

a podcast though, I discovered it when I read about chin up grip dead hang. So I tried that and didn't feel anything, and when I pulled myself up and in, I could feel the pressure on my elbows. The first time I did it, my elbows were sore for days. Now I don't feel anything.. But I'm gonna probably do these another 4 weeks (with the 4th being a Deload week) just to make sure I've strengthen my elbows. I'm currently at 3x30sec.

Regarding your question, my pulling strength gives up first. No idea why your core would. Maybe your core is weak? :S

Awesssss

I'm sorry for stealing your thread! :( but while we're at it. Let me ask this: If I've stopped feeling any pressure on my elbows, does this mean that I could move on? Because these hangs are mentally challenging...

Alexander Egebak
Paulizdaman said:

I'm sorry for stealing your thread! :( but while we're at it. Let me ask this: If I've stopped feeling any pressure on my elbows, does this mean that I could move on? Because these hangs are mentally challenging...

That is exactly why you should not move on, as long as it challenges you you should keep going at it. If not for a little strength gains do it to challenge your mind.

 

I feel like my core is in sync with my pulling strength. Can somebody answer my question?

B1214N

Sounds like a weak core.

Rayne-William
Paulizdaman said:

I'm sorry for stealing your thread! :( but while we're at it. Let me ask this: If I've stopped feeling any pressure on my elbows, does this mean that I could move on? Because these hangs are mentally challenging...

You can do other exercises, just keep doing this one. It gets tougher the longer you hold your body up and can be made more difficult really easily.

 

You may have used the exercise for your elbows. However the exercise strengthens muscles in your back and arms.

 

For this exercise get into the top position and stay there until your body starts to lower down by itself, rather than you when you feel the "Burn" in your muscle fibers.

Awesssss
GoldenEagle said:
You can do other exercises, just keep doing this one. It gets tougher the longer you hold your body up and can be made more difficult really easily.

I can defintely see myself doing a 30+ sec hold in my warm up.

You may have used the exercise for your elbows. However the exercise strengthens muscles in your back and arms.

Haha, yeah, I'm aware of that. I actually saw this exercise as "killing two birds with one stone". :)

[...] stay there until your body starts to lower down by itself [...]

This is madness.

Edit: Quoting went wrong. Oh well..

Rayne-William
Paulizdaman said:

I can definitely see myself doing a 30+ sec hold in my warm up.

 

You may have used the exercise for your elbows. However the exercise strengthens muscles in your back and arms.

Haha, yeah, I'm aware of that. I actually saw this exercise as "killing two birds with one stone". :)

[...] stay there until your body starts to lower down by itself [...]

This is madness.

Edit: Quoting went wrong. Oh well..

 

Yeap, it is madness to stay there and hang until your body reaches it true muscular endurance limit while your are forcing your body to recruit more muscle fibers to stay in one position. In the long run your body develops stronger connective tissue and your skeleton gains more of your muscle strength.