This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Struggling to progress

Started by Primate, August 1, 2014 · 9 Replies · 307 Views

Primate

I'm struggling to progress due purely to my lack of consistency. I keep getting sick, or busy and end up taking a month off and losing all of my progress. I know that this is on me, but I've just been finding this course to be too much. I've been doing the 4 day per week schedule, but I can't keep up. I have a naturally low recovery time, so this really pushes me. In addition, I ride my bike to work 3 days per week. Between a 12 hour work day and 2 kids I find that I'm often just too exhausted.

I know that to progress, one needs to push the body to adapt to the new loads placed upon it, so I need to ask. Will I benefit from only doing F1 twice a week? I.e. Workout A and workout B? Or is this just not going to be enough work to make any adaptations? I really enjoy Foundation and I'm not too eager to make fast progress, I just need to find a balance point with which I can be consistent, but still benefit.

Alan Tseng

I've been trying out the 2 day split for the past 2 months, made quite a bit of progress

Jon Douglas

Man, do what you can. If that means 2* a week for now, milk that 2* a week and do more mobility work when you have the odd ten minutes free.

If time permits I'd personally prefer the 2*f7, but the workout you do counts a lot more than the three you planned perfectly on paper and never got around to :)

Mark Balsom

If you're having difficulties keeping up, whatever the reasons you should listen to that. The simple fact you wrote that post I'd step back a little take things easy. You say you have a natural low recovery and with everything you have going on in might just be a little too much and you won't progress while overreaching like that. I was recently passing my final Uni exams and had to put GB in maintenance mode this meant F1, H1 and H2 just once a week and then just playing around with Handstands and other GB content and mobility whenever I could between exams and revisions and I actually came back stronger and fresher! Like Jon says 1 good workout always beats 3 missed ones!!

meras
Primate said:

I've been doing the 4 day per week schedule, but I can't keep up. I have a naturally low recovery time

So you just answered your own question :) Foundation does come with schedules for people with different recovery abilities. Pick the one that works for you. Overtraining will just hinder your progress.

Primate

Thanks for the encouragement all. The 2 day a week F7 I find takes me too long, but is the same load as the 4 day per week, hence why I'm wondering how little is too little to make progress. And yes, I do get that any is better than none, but at what point will I be merely maintaining rather than improving?

Murray Truelove

Just start with 2 days, they don't need to be F(7). You can always add more work as your circumstances change.

thecolin
Primate said:

at what point will I be merely maintaining rather than improving?

 

That would be the point at which you stop improving...  :P I know it's a rather pointless and cheeky answer, but it's impossible to say how you specifically will respond. Switch to a schedule you can keep up with consistently, do it consistently for a few cycles and see if you're improving, maintaining or regressing.

Jeremy Huston

Recovery is where you get stronger.  If you can't recover, you can't get stronger.  You only need to train hard enough to signal your body to get stronger, then rest enough that it can.

Primate

Again I want to express my appreciation for this community.  I needed a lift and I got it.  Thanks all.