This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Breaking up a set

Started by kokoro1, July 31, 2014 · 2 Replies · 113 Views

kokoro1

Is there a difference in how you break up a set while working toward mastery? Let's say I'm working toward :60 second mastery... Would it have any difference in the long run (or short run) in attempting 10x :30 second holds, then 9x :34 second holds, then 8x :38 second holds, so on and so forth until I get to 5x :60 second holds, or should I keep plugging away at 5x :60?

Right now I can get 2 sets at :60 seconds, my third set is around :50 seconds (give or take a few), and my fourth set is not quite at :40 seconds. I haven't even tried a fifth set yet.

Should I keep in in this manner, or mix it up and try the other method? (I know someone posted the times in an RC/PE6 post a while back, I think I'll give it a try to overcome the mental battle). So long as I won't be working backward, or if there's some reason why this isn't as good as just suffering through the longest minute of my life.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Murray Truelove

It's recommended you stick to the programming in the course material however there will be times this doesn't work for you and the solution will be very individual.

For example, I'm doing FL:PE 4 and the increment increase is too much so I'm only increasing the reps by 6 instead of 12 each week.

If you fail a set (say at 50s when going for 60s) you might just want to take a few breaths then finish the set (the last 10s) or you might want to tack an extra set on the end.

As for large numbers of sets there's no reason why you can't experiment with this. I think someone had success doing the same with RC:PE6.

kokoro1

Okay, thank you!

After posting this, I kept reading on the forum and saw that there was a recent post not too dissimilar from this one. Sorry for the redundancy. But those are good pointers anyway that I'll give a try.

Cheers!