So I've just purchased F1(that I will start when I'll get back from holidays) and I've noticed that there are a lot of rowing movement, which is good. The gym where I'm going right now doesn't own rings, but it owns some trx that people can freely use. I'm planning on getting a pair of rings or (hopefully) finding some gymnastic facility where to train, but in the meanwhile could the trx row be a decent substitute for the rings row? Thanks, I'm really lookin forward to start the program!! ![]()
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
F1 rows with trx
Started by Edoardo Cagnola, July 31, 2014 · 6 Replies · 216 Views
Yes, though it will appear slightly easier ![]()
That's what I thought too. Is that because the trx straps are attached to the same point (instead of rings that had two separate straps), right?
Yes I think so (always hated Physics).
Actually - from a physics point of view rather than from experience - I'd say that a trx is more likely to make row variations harder, rather than easier, when compared with rings. For a basic row (eg ground rows) it won't make a lot of difference, but for rows where you have to go wider with your hands (bulgarian rows, and to some extent hinge rows) then the tension in the straps will have a significant horizontal component, since this component is dependent how far the strap is from vertical. So you're going to have to work harder to push the rings out to the correct width in some cases.
As an aside, for those using rings, the length of your ring straps will have a similar effect, in that the shorter your straps, the greater the deviation from the vertical and the more horizontal force you must overcome. This would make bulgarian rows easier on a pair of regulation rings than a pair hanging from a low ceiling.
For pressing movements, in general, the opposite is true. For example if you have a horizontal force acting on the rings which you can brace yourself against (as you would using a trx) holding yourself in support would be easier.
Of course, the best thing is just to get going, regardless of imperfect equipment, although rings are certainly a worthwhile investment.
That's a good point on the pressing movement (especially push ups, dips are hard as hell also using the trx IMO). I'll make sure to have access to rings for all the other courses, I just need the time to find (or create) a good training place with all the things that I need ![]()
I use trx bands when I travel. I've found them to be easier but more awkward.