This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stiff Leg Windmill MN/PE1>iM

Started by John Kerr, July 30, 2014 · 9 Replies · 338 Views

John Kerr

Hi all

 

Just starting out. I couldn't find a search function for the forum so apologies if this has been covered.

 

I struggled immensely with the stiff leg windmill. I believe I have shoulder/thoracic spine mobility issues which don't lend themselves to this movement.

 

I used a 5kg kettle bell and I intend to try and record myself next time (including other moves for critique here).

 

Can anyone provide any guidance on breaking down the move for me? I find it incredible hard to keep the weight vertical above the shoulder.

 

I assume its normal/ok to post videos for review?

 

Thanks

 

John

Cole Dano

- The search function is at the very top of the screen opposite the main menu.

 

- Video will help in diagnosing the issue

 

- 5kg, though it sounds light, may actually be too much right now. See if it feels better with a lighter dumbbell.

korija

you dont have to use a 5kg weight

Murray Truelove

A few things that can help:

Always look at the weight.

You can use your other hand to slide down your leg, this can help you control your descent.

passenger

I just started the course and I use a 2kg dumbbel by this exercise. I thought this won't be enough first but it is. Btw this exercise is a lot of fun!

Salivanth

Can I hijack this thread with a dumb question? I bought a 4 kg kettlebell for this exercise rather than a dumbbell because it was on sale (Been using a 1kg milk carton until I was told 3 kg was the recommended minimum for this exercise) but I can't figure out how to hold it properly for the windmill. If I hold it upside-down by the handle so the ball part is in the air I can't balance it, and if I hold it right-side up, the ball part of the weight rubs against my forearm uncomfortably. Should I just be putting up with the forearm thing?

skeeter

I met someone at my gym that uses GB and suggested starting on your knees to work on the shoulders and hips at that level. I have already seen improvement using a 7.5lb dumbell starting on my knees. This will hopefully help with other hip movements, as this is the tightest area of my body.

 

I will keep watch on this thread, curious if anyone else has tried starting on their knees and just touching the floor from there. 

 

Thanks.

Murray Truelove
Salivanth said:

Can I hijack this thread with a dumb question? I bought a 4 kg kettlebell for this exercise rather than a dumbbell because it was on sale (Been using a 1kg milk carton until I was told 3 kg was the recommended minimum for this exercise) but I can't figure out how to hold it properly for the windmill. If I hold it upside-down by the handle so the ball part is in the air I can't balance it, and if I hold it right-side up, the ball part of the weight rubs against my forearm uncomfortably. Should I just be putting up with the forearm thing?

From what I've seen of people doing Turkish get-ups and OHP the bell should be against the top of your arm i.e. not against your wrist.

Salivanth
Murray Truelove said:

From what I've seen of people doing Turkish get-ups and OHP the bell should be against the top of your arm i.e. not against your wrist.

I find this hard to visualise; do you have a video? (I'd Google for it myself, but I might find the wrong one and thus get the wrong info)