This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1 form check

Started by Ben G, July 29, 2014 · 14 Replies · 398 Views

Ben G

Hi,

This is my last set of the 5x15 and the integrated mobility. The second video is a little dark, hopefully you can see well enough. Is my form good enough for mastery?

MN/PE1

MN/PE1-im

TANSTAAFL

I would slow down the iM a little and also make your feet more perpendicular (check demo vid).

 

Tuck ups look pretty good. I would say you probably need a little more compression (or at least controlled compression) at the top and also make sure you lower back is flat on the ground for the whole set, even when fully extended.

 

If it were me, I would probably repeat the last micro again then move on continuing to work on compression in WU sets....but I'm me and you're you, so I can't tell you what to do.

Kevin Sach

My only comment really would be that I thought that for MN/PE1 your knees and feet had to be touching throughout the whole movement. I could be wrong but since SL/PE1 (ABH) requires this I thought the same goes for all other exercises in which this is also possible. Can someone else clarify?

 

This change makes it quite a bit more difficult. I done this either way as it did make compression that much more difficult and I had to cut back my reps. Was fine with this though because I know I need to be as strong as possible for the next PE  :unsure:

JimV
TANSTAAFL said:

...make sure you lower back is flat on the ground for the whole set, even when fully extended.

I started doing this last week; it makes the exercise much harder - at least for me.

Mark Schoenhard

On the im, rather then trying to touch the ground go for reaching behind.  Agree with TANSTAAFL, slow is fast.

dynamo

On MN/PE1 I would also recommend not touching the floor w/ the fingertips at the top of the movement.  This might be adding stability which should be done w/ core and balance alone.

Andre737

Looks good!But you need a little bit more compression.Try to touch your chest with your knees.In my case I only count a rep if I feel that contact of the knees&chest.

Ben G

Thank you all for the critique and tips!

I'm not sure I can get my knees to my chest, they're more likely to touch my chin. I think more compression at the top will get me closer to this though. I can do the rest of the corrections.

There is a lot to think about for one movement. :) I'll keep working at it.

Thanks again!

Keegan

Knees to chest may not be physically possible, but thighs to chest is, strive for that.

Vinay Ramineni
Kevin Sach said:

My only comment really would be that I thought that for MN/PE1 your knees and feet had to be touching throughout the whole movement. I could be wrong but since SL/PE1 (ABH) requires this I thought the same goes for all other exercises in which this is also possible. Can someone else clarify?

 

This change makes it quite a bit more difficult. I done this either way as it did make compression that much more difficult and I had to cut back my reps. Was fine with this though because I know I need to be as strong as possible for the next PE  :unsure:

I'm wondering this too. Do the knee have to touch (or be as close to touching as is anatomically possible for the individual) throughout the movement? It becomes significantly easier if you allow the knees to deviate slightly out to the sides in order to get the thighs to touch the chest - which makes me think that is incorrect form.

This exercise has remained a challenge for me for over a year; this and ABH are constant failures in my everyday life at the moment, after a year on each...

LateStarter@46
Vinay Ramineni said:

.

This exercise has remained a challenge for me for over a year; this and ABH are constant failures in my everyday life at the moment, after a year on each...

You are not alone :-)

Andre737

Not quite sure with the knees together but If you are in doubt always do the more difficult version;)

federicoC

I can only second the others.

-Feet together, knees will depend on your morphology (I'm bow legged, I can't for sure do it - but feet together certainly possible)

-Slower movement, with full extension

-Compression does not look bad to me

-Im: consider repositioning your feet to ~perpendicular, you will feel a completely different stretch in your gracilis as well.

skeeter

Some questions on the comments above. 

 

Lower back - does this mean when fully extended there is no arch? If so, are there some exercises to work on this extension?

Thighs to Chest - will this compression come with more practice, ie. improvement in strength and endurance? Or is it a hip mobility issue?

 

Is it normal to have imbalances when doing the tuck up? For example, when I get tired I seem to pull more one way than the other. I do have very tight hips, but one is looser than the other.

 

Thanks for any comments and sorry for hijacking the thread haha

 

Noah 

Sven Ravnstag

Back flat on the ground for the whole set?  What does it mean if this seems like an anatomical impossibility to me?  Tight hip flexors?

 

I flatten the back immediately prior to initiating a rep, but in so doing the legs begin to raise as part of the movement.  As far as I can tell, I am incapable of flattening the back completely (which I believe is PTT) while having my legs maximally extended (in this case knees/feet together, no knee bend, heels on the floor).  

 

I do notice that the transition between reps with this exercise is somewhat clunky, and that once my low back is pressed to the floor there's a sense of stability that gives me an idea of what the exercise performed correctly would feel like.  Should I be aiming to be able to lay flat supine on the floor with low back totally in contact with legs fully extended?  

 

I also have trouble reliably achieving the reacquire compression at the top of the reps.

 

On a possibly related notes, I've noticed that when doing supine shoulder flexion, my knees don't bend all that much but my legs do want to come apart and externally rotate some when I'm pressing my low back to the ground.