This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN pe6 form check / possible stall bar substitution

Started by VegVeg, July 29, 2014 · 15 Replies · 438 Views

VegVeg

Well , I don't have access to stall bars but since from what I understood the only need is securing the shoulders in place, could this be a substitute? 

 

I am using 3 variations to try an substitute stall bars as can be seen in the vid, which one would you suggest as being the closest to stall bars??

 

the difference between 2 and 3 are overgrip vs undergrip.

 

What do you think then generally?

 

 

 

korija

well straight legs for aesthetic purposes ;) altougth i think they are also harder

Mats Trane

I would go with the first one out of those but the grip becomes a bit narrow.

If you have a training partner have him/her support your shoulders behind you.

Another option is to use a latter that you secure to a wall.

VegVeg
Mats Trane said:

I would go with the first one out of those but the grip becomes a bit narrow.

If you have a training partner have him/her support your shoulders behind you.

Another option is to use a latter that you secure to a wall.

Well I don't have any of these :(

Perhaps sticking with the 1st version (keep in mind I cannot alternate hand positions because if I put left arm first it tilts my whole body) for abs mastery and adding supplement hang work to compensate ???

 

korija said:

well straight legs for aesthetic purposes ;) altougth i think they are also harder

I was trying to keep legs straight on all variations lol

Gavin S

I'm not sue if you have rings or not but you could use the ring straps to create a "rung" (or rungs) with variation two. Attach the straps horizontal to the bars.

 

I hope this is clear.

thecolin
korija said:

well straight legs for aesthetic purposes

 

Bent legs isn't less aesthetic, it's cheating! Straight legs or it doesn't count!  :D

Cole Dano

The biggest issue with the 1st one is your feet are no where near your hands. The second one is just too easy without anything behind your back.

 

You could try this, Go to the hardware store and get a pair of tie down straps (or use your ring straps if you have them). Run them around the poles so they contact you at the shoulder blades when you're hanging. This will act as a partner pushing against your upper back as you do the lifts. You'll need to make the straps as tight as possible to keep them from flexing.

 

Edit: Looks like Gavin S beat me to it.

Alexander Shkarupa

IN MY GYM THE PULL UP BAR IS A SQUAT STAND TOO. SO , I PUT THE OLYMPIC BAR ON UPPER BACK  LEVEL PINS  AND FIND IT PRETTY HELPFUL.  I LIKE THE IDEA ABOUT USING  STRAPS ( GAVIN S, COLE DANO ) . BUT WITH THE BAR SEEMS TO BE MUCH FASTER.  

 I BELIEVE THE MN/PE6 IS ONE OF THE MOST GRUELING EXE. SO FAR. STILL STRUGGLING TO HAVE AT LEAST 7 SEC WITH LOWERING STRAIGHT LEGS.

 

PATTING MYSELF FOR THE FIRST POST :D

VegVeg

Well hello again everyone, I took your advice and got myself some rings !

 

What do you think about this one??

 

MN6 ~

 

 

 

 

 

 

And while we are at it, I also tried elevated rows with the rings, feels really different, do you think it went OK?

 

 

 

Thanks in advance for any reply ^^

VegVeg

So...I guess it passes as perfect form? :)

Ravn

Nice MN6, however, point your feet at the top, that'll allow you to get even more ROM.

-MR

You seem to be cheating a little in RC/PE4 by piking your hips and flexing your upper thoracic spine to get your chest to your hands. This is especially noticeable near the end (0:18). Try to keep your body straight and use scapular retraction to bring your chest closer to the hands. This is the hardest part of the exercise so I think it's worth working on. It may help to take another look at the athlete in the course video and then compare his form to yours. 

 

Otherwise it looks like you're progressing well, best of luck!

VegVeg

Thanks for the kind words and replies :)

 

Guess I never really used retractions when I passed the rows without the rings.

 

Time to work on retractions :(

Cole Dano

Nice job on the MN set up!

 

The other comments were spot on.

meras

Indeed, great setup. Does it take long to put everything into place?

 

And I agree with others, point your toes! :)

VegVeg

Hello Meras, no it takes me like 5 minutes in total to setup and then to pack up, it is a great solution for the lack of stall bars!

 

Also the RC progressions feel very different for me using rings instead of bar