This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Trick for Long Static Holds

Started by David Hurwitz, July 29, 2014 · 11 Replies · 619 Views

David Hurwitz

I have seen some discussion on the forum lately and wanted to share my experience with this.  I find SL/PE1 and RC/PE6 to be the most grueling.  The hollow hold variations could pose a challenge as well.

 

I use the principle of dissociation.  Instead of feeling my body from a 1st person (associated) point of view, I "watch" myself from the 3rd person (dissociated).

 

The ways that work for me are specific to my gym and its setup.  I do SL/PE1 near a mirror to make sure my arch is tight and my legs are perfectly straight.  Then I close my eyes and continue to picture myself in the mirror.  If I feel myself getting tired, I first make the imagined version of myself tighten up his arch up.

 

I perform RC/PE6 on one of the parallel bars.  Because the high bar in my gym is visible from there, I usually do this one with open eyes.  I just pretend I am doing the hold up on the high bar, and I watch myself from afar.  If I feel my grip loosening or my elbows straightening, I watch the image of myself fix his form and hold it stronger up on that high bar

 

This takes all of the focus off the discomfort that I think I'm feeling in my own body.  The more I focus on making these perfect form pictures in my mind, the more the time just flies by!  Interestingly, I don't do this for planche work.  There is too much going on in the holds (protraction, depression, widening, hollowing, etc.), where I need to remain fully associated in order to focus on squeezing the right muscles in the right way. 

 

I'd love to get everyone's take on this.  What works for you?  What doesn't?  What modifications do you make that are specific to your own setup or your own abilities?

Murray Truelove

Whatever works for you.

I prefer to just think of it as hard work that needs to be done.

BeanLion

How do you keep track of the time you're holding for when doing this?

David Hurwitz

I use a kitchen timer.

Warlock
BeanLion said:

How do you keep track of the time you're holding for when doing this?

If you have a smartphone, there's loads of apps with configurable timers, sets, etc. I personally use Impetus, as I found it pretty intuitive and capable.

BeanLion
Warlock said:

If you have a smartphone, there's loads of apps with configurable timers, sets, etc. I personally use Impetus, as I found it pretty intuitive and capable.

Thanks, yeah currently use a metronome app but it does mean I'm actually counting the seconds so it's hard to switch off. I just tried looking for Impetus but couldn't see it on the Apple store so I'm guessing it's a Google app?

Warlock
BeanLion said:

Thanks, yeah currently use a metronome app but it does mean I'm actually counting the seconds so it's hard to switch off. I just tried looking for Impetus but couldn't see it on the Apple store so I'm guessing it's a Google app?

Yeah, it's a google app. I figured it would've had an iOS counterpart, but I guess that's not the case. Still, plenty of other options in the market. And I actually a the metronome app for Handstand excercises, since I'm not comfortable starting the timer and rushing into an upside down position :P.

Jon Douglas
Murray Truelove said:

Whatever works for you.

I prefer to just think of it as hard work that needs to be done.

Yeah, this is me too :)

MT Nordic

there are a lot of countdown timers on the iphone. they give you a 10 second lead in to get ready, 3 beeps with 3 seconds to go, then start. a beep with 10 seconds to go that tells you "you're almost there...just hang on!", then 3 beeps at the end. I like these because i don't have to keep track, they let me take my time getting into position, and i like the 10 seconds left beep.

Andrew Tan

I would also put on headphones and fill it with motivational speeches that i found on youtube, like the infamous "If you want to succeed as bad as you want to breath, then you'll be successful." It's a good motivator and distraction 

 

I'm still stuck on this PE, have to just keep pushing through

Sven Ravnstag

Dissociation is an effective way to modulate physical or emotional discomfort. The problem with dissociating while doing arch body holds is that I basically associate into Coach's perspective and ridicule my pure ROM and lack of work ethic.

dynamo

I currently use HIIT It Pro Workout timer on my Android.  Been using it for a while and it's very customizable, but I'll check out Impetus too.