This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN PE 7, 8 and 9

Started by Nino Begovic, July 29, 2014 · 9 Replies · 222 Views

Nino Begovic

Yesterday I did mastery for MN PE 7. I can not find the videos of that but tried PE 8 and 9 today. I think I have learned to disengage the lats pretty good on the hanging leg lifts by extending the shoulders and trying to relax shoulders, lats, arms. When I try the Undergrip HLL (PE 8) I feel like it is impossible to disengage the lats. Shouldn't that be automatically corrected just by turning to undergrip? And also no matter how close or wide I hold the hands it hurts the wrists in a bad way. So because of these to things I tried skipping over PE8. I was very tired today but I think I can manage the absence of momentum in PE9 (compared to PE7) if I start from block 1 in the schedule.

Here is a video of me trying PE8, and PE9 from the front and from the side.

What do you think? Good? Bad? Need more videos? Am I ready for PE9? Have I misunderstood PE8?

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CapMqMPwhh4&feature=youtu.be

 

 

Thanks

 

 

Edit: Inserted yt video.

thecolin

I don't have any answers regarding lat involvement. I actually find undergrip easier, even though I think I'm probably using my lats a bit. I'm curious about this as well, if somebody has some insight.

 

Regarding your form, I think you could get more compression at the top. Your feet are quite far from the bar. Try and get at least your ankle (with a straight foot) to touch the bar.

 

It also looks like you could straighten your legs a bit more. They should be fully extended for the entire movement.

Keilani Gutierrez

i'd like to see your form with your grip on the top rung. I can see you using momentum on most of your reps very clearly and am curious as to how your reps would look like with a more open shoulder angle. maybe i'm just imagining it but HLL feel very diff when i have a rung on my forearm than when i can have that space cleared. 

 

it feels quite ab heavy when you have an open shoulder angle and are focusing exclusively on compression eliminating the conditions to allow me to use momentum and rely on it. (anecdotes from testing out my mobility on the stall bars to measure progress from time to time.) 

Nino Begovic

I have been consciously trying to use 'some' momentum. Sometimes it has been more sometimes less. But looking at the course video for MN PE 7 that is what I have seen in the video and was planning to reduce that momentum + remain control in the top position, during PE8 and PE9. I found a pretty recent PE7 video and posted to the link at the bottom.

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez said:

i'd like to see your form with your grip on the top rung. I can see you using momentum on most of your reps very clearly and am curious as to how your reps would look like with a more open shoulder angle. maybe i'm just imagining it but HLL feel very diff when i have a rung on my forearm than when i can have that space cleared. 

 

it feels quite ab heavy when you have an open shoulder angle and are focusing exclusively on compression eliminating the conditions to allow me to use momentum and rely on it. (anecdotes from testing out my mobility on the stall bars to measure progress from time to time.) 

 

Keilani I am not really sure I understand what you mean about "grip on the top rung" and "rung on forearm"? Also, I understand you want another video with a wider hold, right? In that case, which of the PE's?

 

 

 

thecolin said:

I don't have any answers regarding lat involvement. I actually find undergrip easier, even though I think I'm probably using my lats a bit. I'm curious about this as well, if somebody has some insight.

 

Regarding your form, I think you could get more compression at the top. Your feet are quite far from the bar. Try and get at least your ankle (with a straight foot) to touch the bar.

 

It also looks like you could straighten your legs a bit more. They should be fully extended for the entire movement.

thecolin why has PE 8 been easier for you?

Thank you for input on legs, feet and compression. I haven't noticed the ankles not touching and legs not being fully extended. I'll work on that =)

 

 

 

Here is the PE 7 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-equovy_eA

Keilani Gutierrez
Nino Begovic said:

Keilani I am not really sure I understand what you mean about "grip on the top rung" and "rung on forearm"? Also, I understand you want another video with a wider hold, right? In that case, which of the PE's?

 

Here is the PE 7 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-equovy_eA

a rung(not sure if this is slang? or carpentry slang) is the stick you're holding onto. i refer to them as dowels also, see which one you're holding? there's one right under it that your forearm touches and gives your arm an angle or at least, it seems to. also, the width of the hold is not an issue right now, i'd keep them as straight as i would do a dead hang. 

 

the intention of my comment is to see how holding onto the higher dowel(the next one up from which you're holding) impacts your shoulder angle and if that sheds some light on if you're using your lats or momentum or both. that's all :)

thecolin
Nino Begovic said:

 

thecolin why has PE 8 been easier for you?

 

It seems to be a bit easier on my shoulders for some reason. It was uncomfortable at the start, particularly on the left and I had to work through it a bit, it's much better now. But with the undergrip position everything moves more smoothly.

 

It looks to me like there's a gap higher up in your stall bars. If you look again at the course videos for PE 7, notice that the athlete has his shoulders on the bar right below the gap. Try doing it in the same position, it can be a bit more comfortable starting out without having a bar directly behind your head. The kid for PE 9 is lower down, but his compression looks better than the athletes for 7/8.

 

Also, if you're higher up you can also extend completely like Keilani mentioned, and then you can focus on trying to maintain that extension through the whole movement. Which might be easier than starting with your feet bent and then trying to extend as you lift.

Cole Dano

I also found PE 8 easier on my shoulder.

 

Based on the performance of your PE 8 I wouldn't even bother yet with PE 9. 

 

- Start using the top rung so you can fully straighten your legs at the bottom

 

- Use full ROM from top to bottom, going all the way to the bottom actually helps with control on these

 

- Keep your legs glued together for the full rep with toes pointing at all times

 

- Short pause at bottom and top

 

- NO MOMENTUM, period

 

Until you can do these with no momentum IMO the V-L's just won't go anywhere. As you see in your video, you aren't able to lift to the bar.

 

The HLL series is very important, no need to rush through these. It's no problem that you first did a with momentum run through, consider that an incremental step, but you need to get this right before moving on.

Nino Begovic

Wow that was a lot... Thanks very much guys!
I will do my best to apply all your advice in practice.

I'll be back...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

:ph34r:

Nino Begovic

aaaah I tried catching the feet and ankles throughout the whole video but missed a bit on the top :(