This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

3 Week Cycles for the Over 50 Crowd?

Started by JimV, July 29, 2014 · 2 Replies · 214 Views

JimV

The discussion on 3 day per week training made me think of this:  Joe Friel, the cycling coach, recommends going from 4 week microcycles to 3 week microcycles after age 40. (Other changes he recommends are strength training year round and fewer intense workouts each week)  This is just based on the ability of masters athletes to recover.

 

Has anyone tried this with GST?

 

I'm new, I've done just 4 months of 4 days per week of F1/H1. I think I'll try at least one cycle of 3 days per week and see how the reduced workload works for me.

john_c

I just qualify for the over 50 community. I have dropped down to 3 x F1 and 2 x H1 a week from 4 x F1 and 2 x H1 and find it just as productive and less gruelling.

I did consider at one point doing 4 x F1 sessions with 2 at 75-80% and 2 at 100% but decided against it.

 

I do the 4 week microcycle as per course recommendations but if anything I would move to a 5 week microcycle as I feel the first week of the microcycle is just getting back to where I left off and so any progress I make is usually in the 2nd and 3rd week. 

BeanLion
tfeal said:

 

I do the 4 week microcycle as per course recommendations but if anything I would move to a 5 week microcycle as I feel the first week of the microcycle is just getting back to where I left off and so any progress I make is usually in the 2nd and 3rd week. 

I'm not in the over 50 category but I know what you mean with the deloads. I often found myself spending the first week of a new cycle getting back to where I was before the deload (which means I must have been doing something wrong).