This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Spinal Torsion - Weighted Mobility Work

Started by INA, July 25, 2014 · 1 Replies · 179 Views

INA

I was curious as to why their is no weighted mobility work for spinal torsion (spinal twisting/rotation) in the Foundation Series. Also curious as to what would be some good spinal torsion  weighted mobility exercises.

 

For example, their are weighted movements for 

 -spinal flexion and extension - weighted pikes, weighted jefferson curls, back limber work..

 - lateral movement of the spine - Bent pancake twists SL/SE2>iM

 - I couldn't find any weighted movements for spinal twisting and rotation. 

 

I also read somewhere that the lumbar spine is not really meant for torsion but that the thoracic and cervical spine is. Is this the reason why one should not do loaded mobility rotation work for the spine?

 

Would doing something like 'Elbow Bouces' or "Horizontal Windmills' holding a small weight help?

 

I've included a picture below courtesy of 'Yoga Functional Anatomy' to illustrate the movement I'm trying to describe.

 

post-2290-0-78072300-1406308760_thumb.jp

 

post-2290-0-30600200-1406316637_thumb.jp

Alan Tseng

Many of the exercises in SL are thoracic rotation, even in F1