I've never had a strong grip. At the moment on my RC work (still early on, RC/PE6) the limiting factor is definitely my grip, and when I play around on rings it is also definitely the first part of me to give out. In fact, I could do several muscle ups except that keeping that false grip on the way down is nearly impossible for me (note, I'm not really training extensively on rings at the moment, but I hop on to play around maybe once a week). I expect my grip will get stronger as I train more, but I don't want it to stall my progress if for some reason it can't keep up. So is there some way y'all would suggest I train my grip, or should I just keep on keeping on with Foundations and expect it to keep up?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Grip as limiting factor
Started by jprimeaux, July 25, 2014 · 11 Replies · 475 Views
My grip has improved a lot just through Foundation, before it was definitely a weak link.
Is your grip limiting your Foundation work now? Or are you worried about it for the future?
Are you doing the H1 wrist work as well?
Your grip won't stall your progress. If your grip is the limiting factor in an exercise, that means progress entails developing a stronger grip.
I've been hanging off the pullup bar at the end of my workouts. I just do one set but I've worked up to 1.5 minutes and have noticed an increase in grip strength.
As a side note; When I mentioned this to my physical therapist he encouraged me to keep doing it.
The Hansenator said:I've been hanging off the pullup bar at the end of my workouts. I just do one set but I've worked up to 1.5 minutes and have noticed an increase in grip strength.
As a side note; When I mentioned this to my physical therapist he encouraged me to keep doing it.
Convict Conditioning (CC) has a grip program that's based on hanging off things with straight arm(s): two hands on the bar, one hand on the bar, two hands grabbing towels, and one hand on a towel, etc.. I have also tried hand grippers, tennis balls and other exercises to strengthen my grip. From my experience, the CC program is the best approach: very gentle on the joints, good progress with consistent work, and easy metric to gauge improvement. Incidentally, one of the first 'Masteries' in the CC grip program is 4x60s two-hand bar hang, which is very close to the mastery time for RC/PE6.
So I agree with The Hansenator and Joshua Slocum, just keep doing PE6, which should strengthen your grip over time. If you really think your grip is severely impeding your progress, judiciously add some bar hang work, and your grip should catch up soon enough.
spacepilot said:Convict Conditioning (CC) has a grip program that's based on hanging off things with straight arm(s): two hands on the bar, one hand on the bar, two hands grabbing towels, and one hand on a towel, etc.. I have also tried hand grippers, tennis balls and other exercises to strengthen my grip. From my experience, the CC program is the best approach: very gentle on the joints, good progress with consistent work, and easy metric to gauge improvement. Incidentally, one of the first 'Masteries' in the CC grip program is 4x60s two-hand bar hang, which is very close to the mastery time for RC/PE6.
So I agree with The Hansenator and Joshua Slocum, just keep doing PE6, which should strengthen your grip over time. If you really think your grip is severely impeding your progress, judiciously add some bar hang work, and your grip should catch up soon enough.
Grip strength will increase over time when someone does RC/PE6. I have been doing bent arm chin hangs off of 1 inch(2.54cm) crown moulding as part of my non-foundation workouts, twice a week, and my grip has gotten stronger.
I actually find that the mastery templates work really well for towel hangs and finger/grip endurance in general.
I started with the 10 second template 17 weeks ago, and am now on week 9 of the 30 second template. Whereas 4 second towel hangs were a challenge for me four months ago, I just completed 4 x 24 second hangs this week. My goal is to get 5 x 60 seconds before starting over with thicker towels, and then doing it all over again with single arm towel hangs.
I'm doing the same with a hangboard on alternating days for a total of three grip/finger workouts per week. For the hangboard, once I get to 5 x 60s on the current ledge, I'll start over with a narrower ledge.
Thanks a ton for the responses guys. I'll try adding the grip and hang specific stuff at the ends of workouts just to train it specifically. I've noticed my grip being a weak link in the past when I did BJJ and some lifting, so just wanted to keep ahead of it. Thanks a ton!
If your grip is failing on pe6 you are already working at your grips capacity. Extra may cause some tendinitis, be careful.
grip will improve a lot. i wasn't able to hang with left arm on a bar. at the end of F4 i can hang 1 minute with left, change without coming down then 1 minute with right.
Are you sure you properly mastered all he progressions before? For me grip was far more an issue in pe1 with is I'm than pe6....
Joshua Slocum said:Your grip won't stall your progress. If your grip is the limiting factor in an exercise, that means progress entails developing a stronger grip.
Perfect answer.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer