This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

less reps during foundation work

Started by katlinchen, July 24, 2014 · 6 Replies · 252 Views

katlinchen

Reps lowe while foundation than in the gym?

Are your reps while you do the Foundation work also always lower than if you try them "fresh"?

When I try my max pull-ups in the gym, I can do around 5-6. When I do Foundatin, Pull-Ups are the last exercise and I can sets of 3, 2, 2, 2, 2 this is my max. Same with leg lifts. In the gym I can do 8, when I do it while Foundation, I can do 5x5.

Only pushing seems to be equal. Does anyone else experience this and is it bad?

And how strong am I now? Should I count the max reps at the gym or the reps during foundation?

Thank you!

Rayne-William

Your max reps would be the number of reps you can do in a set when you have the most energy.

 

I can crank out 13-14 strict form pull ups in one set while hanging off of 1 inch(2.54cm) crown moulding and have some trouble with 7-8 strict Bulgarian pull ups.

 

You certainly aren't the only human that has the strength issue due to previous energy expenditure.

federicoC

Definitely normal. If you invert the order of the exercises in F1 and do your pull ups first, you'll see that you get back to your expectation.

Murray Truelove

If I'm struggling with an element I might switch it to the front of my workout for this very reason.

katlinchen
Murray Truelove said:

If I'm struggling with an element I might switch it to the front of my workout for this very reason.

Hmmm...I always struggle with pull-ups. They are just horribble. I don't know, I think windshield wipers are 10 times harder and more exhausting, but still better than those strange pull-ups! And I somehow don't really make any progress... grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I bet when I am finished with everything else in F4, I wil still struggle with the 5x5 pull-ups  :facepalm: 

Thanks for your reply!

Vincearoo

Also, I'm sure the iMs and low rest time do not help with your pull up numbers. Xioapengs used to just crush my push up numbers for a long time.

Rayne-William
katlinchen said:

Hmmm...I always struggle with pull-ups. They are just horribble. I don't know, I think windshield wipers are 10 times harder and more exhausting, but still better than those strange pull-ups! And I somehow don't really make any progress... grrrrrrrrrrrrr

I bet when I am finished with everything else in F4, I wil still struggle with the 5x5 pull-ups  :facepalm: 

Thanks for your reply!

If pull ups is something your are currently struggling with.  Spend some extra time working on the negative phase of your pull ups and continue working on holding the isometric contraction at the top position. Another thing to do is keep your upper arm rotated so that your elbows don't flare out to the side. I believe the clinical term for the upper arm rotation I am referring to is external rotation. 

 

Charles Poliquin/Strength Sensei: "How to Instantly Boost Chin-Up Performance" (Youtube video)