This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck Squats - I can do 5x15R with mat no problem, can't do a single one without mat

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), July 22, 2014 · 18 Replies · 639 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

HI Guys and Girls,

 

I'm struggling with deck squats. I can do 5x15R with relative ease using a mat, or using my hands to tuck my shins in, but I can't do a single one on the floor without a mat.

 

What do I do to progress here??

 

Any suggestions are much appreciated - thanks!

 

Cam

Sensei JP

I just did my first one after six weeks of misery, so first, believe that it is possible!

 

I haverepeated the first minicycle, really focusing on deep, slow skiers.  Beyond that, in between every set I hold a low squat position using a door as a support (because I can't actually hold a low squat position yet...)  From there, I do little pulses, up and down, really feeling what it feels like, which muscles are working, etc.  When I stand up, I go super slow, trying to find the earliest point I can let go of the door without falling over.

 

It felt like no progress over these past six weeks, but then yesterday, it happened out of the blue.  It's not perfect, but it's a sign that the progressions and iM will work magic.

 

Beyond that, try a lower mat?  Or maybe on an incline, like a slight hill.  Stay positive, because it will work.

Riku Calderón
Cameron Williams said:

HI Guys and Girls,

 

I'm struggling with deck squats. I can do 5x15R with relative ease using a mat, or using my hands to tuck my shins in, but I can't do a single one on the floor without a mat.

 

What do I do to progress here??

 

Any suggestions are much appreciated - thanks!

 

Cam

Are you doing them in hard floor? Dont. I gues i dont understand.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks Jonathan...So you just kept working on mobility and suddenly it clicked?

 

Riku - What I meant is, I've been doing the deck squats from a mat onto the floor to give myself that little bit of extra height, and I can do them easily when I do it that way. When I don't use a mat to give myself that extra height, I can't do a single one.

Murray Truelove

These took me a very long time to master (nearly a year?!), my ankle mobility was very poor and my compression very weak.

Working on a deep squat, MN:PE1 and myofascial release (using a dowel between your calves and hamstrings) really made a difference for me.

Sensei JP

Yes, it just clicked one day.  I was so surprised when it happened.  When I could get to my feet, I always lost my balance on the push up.  Then, on my third set, I just went straight up.  No wobble, no loss of balance, just a perfect deck squat.  I must have stood mouth gaping for a solid 30sec.  The previous two weeks, in fact, felt like a step back, so this was a welcome sign.

 

Granted, today, I could only manage 1 out of 10, but that's still progress. There's a saying my grandmother used to say.  If you have infinite patience, you'll have instant progress.  Trust in and have patience with the process, and suddenly, before you know it, you'll be there.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Awesome - that's very encouraging Jonathan and Murray, thanks!

 

Murray, what do you mean by compression?

jules

It would be great to see a video. Most likely it is a mobility issue.

By compressions, I think Murray means your ability to keep your knees on your chest.   How does your roll feel? does it feel nice and smooth or clunky?  Remember that hey back must be rounded (like cat/cow) and the pelvic tucked under. You cant roll a square.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks Jules - I think posting a video is a good idea.... I have no idea how to do this. Can you point me to a link / instructions on how to post a video?

 

Thanks!

 

Cam

Mary-Anne

Thank you for these posts.  I'm still struggling with my deck squat and knowing I'm not alone helps.  I was thinking of adding more deep squats to help with the progression and glad to see that it has helped some.  :)

Ben Lawlis

I'm in the same boat. I really struggle with keeping a smooth roll up to my feet, and normally end up kicking my feet to get more momentum. I did manage to get one right last session and was delighted with my progress, but it's still a problem for me.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

KSTL - I've been doing them in bare feet to try to give myself as much help as possible!

 

I'm going to do some rolling on my calves and achilles, and post a video as well, and go from there.

 

ps... can anyone help me with posting a video? I have no idea how to do this

 

Cam

Stephen Majerle

How high is the mat you are using?

To post a video you can create a YouTube or Vimeo account, upload a video, mark the video as unlisted, then provide a link to the video here.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Stephen - I was using a 1.5" mat. Thanks for the video instructions... it was surprisingly easy, even for me!

 

I finally have been able to do a series of deck squats without using a mat to assist me.

 

Here is a video:

 

Any tips/comments are appreciated!

 

Cam

Lucas Laybourn

I've had good luck holding a weight in my hands to help me roll to my feet. When I started this was the only way I could do a deck squat. Now I do half my sets with the weight and half without

Bryce H

I gave this advice to others before because it's what helped me, but my issue with these (and most likely your issue with these even if it doesn't "feel" like it) is ankle mobility.

 

All I did was put the vast majority of my focus on the Skiers mobility element for this, only ONLY counted good reps, did 1 or 2 extra sets per general workout day (so in my case I didn't do any extra mobility stuff on off days, though you might want to), and I did them with a dumbbell in each hand which basically acted like a counterweight since I kept falling over whenever I got that low. The dumbbells helped me get low enough, and after a month or so I didn't need them at all anymore.

 

Also, definitely try filming yourself or watching yourself in a mirror while you do these. When I first started I thought I was doing them right because it felt like I was, but when I saw myself in a mirror I was not getting low enough. Hope that helps!

Jeremy Huston

Cam -- congratulations on getting your deck squats!  Now work on gradually getting your feet closer together.  I imagine that will come relatively quickly compared to how long it took to get to this point.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Thanks Tex :)

 

I actually just mastered the deck squat yesterday! You are right about keeping my feet together.

 

The other thing that finally made it smooth and easy was a mental cue to keep my chest tight to my quads.

 

This allowed me to keep a tight roll and I can now pop up with ease.

 

Thanks everyone for all your help with this!

 

Cam

Damon Amato

I think one limiting aspect some people don't think about is ankle mobility.  If you can't sit in a full ass to grass squat with heels on the floor comfortably, that makes deck squats tough.  I'd suggest stretching your gastroc and soleus to make sure you have that full ROM to do these properly.