This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

tryin to get back

Started by Dreadrok, June 4, 2009 · 93 Replies · 7,144 Views

Joshua Naterman

Welcome back man! I wondered what happened to you. Don't worry, everything will come.

Dreadrok

So strength is still not back.. but here is what im thinking for this cycle.. let me knwo if anyone thinks this is a good one.. or if maybe i should do some tweeks.. goals are FL,BL,PL,MSH,MU,GHR,OAC

im working with less sets but with more intensity than before.. dont knwo if this is optimal.. any held would be awesome

warmup = 3x30s wall HS

10 wrist pushups

dynamic leg stretching

some wall walks/bridge work

M/T/TH/F

1 MPPu/r

2 Vertical = hspu/pu

3 Horizontal

4 Dip/Curl + CPP

2x3

MPPu/r

Planche = flat tuck = 3-4s

Hes>>tuck planche = 3 ******** might change if i can get a better alt for ChestRoll HeS*******

BL = straddle = 6-7s

Yewkis tuck= 3-4

FL =adv tuck = 4-5s

Legs = SLS = 3

Sits = MSH bent legs = 6-7s

Abs = tick tocks flat tuck = 3

Vert

Planche = flat tuck 3-4s

HSPU = 3

BL = straddle = 6-7s

Ass OAC = 3

FL = adv tuck = 4-5s

Legs = GHR assisted (focus on negative motion) = 3

Sits = MSH = 6-7s

Abs = HLL = 3

Horiz

Planche = flat tuck = 3-4s

Pushup XRPPP = 3

BL = straddle = 6-7s

Row FL adv Tuck = 3-4

FL = adv tuck = 4-5s

Legs = SLS = 3

Sits = MSH bent legs = 6-7s

Abs =straddle dragon flags = 3

Dip/Curl

Planche = flat tuck = 3-4s

Dip = XR wrist turned out = 3

BL = straddle = 6-7s

Curl = Reverse Yewkis tuck = 3

FL = adv tuck = 3-4s

Legs = GHR assisted (focus on negative motion) = 3

CPP **** MU negatives **** = 3

Sits = MSH bent legs = 6-7s

Lower Back = Straddle Wall Handstand Raises = 3

All in all this workout is usually right under 1 hour

im also thinking of maybe adding one more set of the statics but not the dynamics.. not sure ill have to test it i guess

Blairbob

how much volume of the FSP's? stated time, then 2 sets of 3 reps?

Dreadrok

ya 2 sets of everthing.. but just last workout i thought the volume was kinda low.. so i started doing it dynamic sandwich style.. where i do static,dynamic,static. and have that be 1 set.. and do 2 sets of that.. so thats 4 static for alotted time, for every 6 reps of the corresponding dynamic work.

i feel a little sore today in that good way, not crazy DOMS.

i think i like it like this.. well see i guess

Dreadrok

So remember how i said i was back at it.. i lied.. life has been helping me to stay not working out but im trying really hard to get back into it.. today will be my... 2nd or 3rd for the week, kinda cant rememeber.. things ahve been crazy.. well im off to do my dip/curl day. feels like starting from scratch with such a huge break and awefull diet. :oops: :cry:

Joshua Naterman

Be careful starting back up! Don't try to ramp up too much out of a guilty conscience and then pull something!

Blairbob

Dread, this is exactly why I given up on my own programming and moved to the GB WOD.

Dreadrok

so I havent worked out since my last post basically, and after getting motivated I took poloquins GTV style, and decided to do something that would fit my bw style workout. I plan on doing this for one of his full cycles and see what happens, then, after this, do a good steadystate and focus just on strength

Poloquin GVT: http://www.strengthcats.com/CP-GVT.html

My workout.. week 2.. i tweeked small things since week 1, but this is basically what its going to be it looks like

so its 10x10 with 90's rest between sets with a 40x0 tempo for the A's and 3x10-15 40x0 60's rest for B's

Chest & Back

A1 Pbar Pushups 10x10

A2 Horizontal Rows (mid shin height) 10x10

B1 Wide Pushup 3x10

B2

Legs & Abs

A1 box jumps (top of knee height) 10x10

A2 BW ham curls (lots of assistence) 10x10

B1 hangin knee raises 3x10

B2 Headstand LL (straddle) 3x10

Arms & Shoulders

A1 Dips 10x10

A2 Horizontal BW curls (legs on floor, bar hip height) 10x10

B1 HS box pushup (about 90 degree) 3x10

B2 russain dips (partial ROM) 3x10

B3 Tricep extensions (piked and leaning on a bar about hip height) 3x10

Dynamic stretching as warmup, as well as a little HS on wall and just playing around. nothing that serious.

Joshua Naterman

I think you may want to switch to xr push ups, I would be surprised if that was an enormous step up in difficulty.

I have been using the GVT protocols for support work with very encouraging results. 10x60s support swings with 60s rest is pretty brutal, but really builds a ton of ability. I used to laugh privately at the idea of actually working supports, but you really get a lot out of it.

Overall I think you've made reasonable exercise selections for the most part. Box jumps, in my opinion, should be replaced with deck squats. Possibly jumping deck squats even, if you're that froggy! Box jumps have no eccentric, and GVT is very heavily focused on eccentric movement. Without the constant tension you can not burn enough energy to make this work. You can still get the explosive work in through the deck squats if you jump with them, but I think you will find that just using box jumps as an accessory exercise will work better.

Your B2 on chest/back should be Bulgarian rows. These are extremely hard to do correctly, since your upper arms should be in perfect horizontal alignment at the top. These are not wide rows, these are 90/90 wide rows (referring to the top position); 90 degrees shoulder abduction (this is maintained the whole time, and is the hardest part of the exercise) and 90 degrees elbow flexion at the top. These are way, way different from the regular rows you are doing. These really don't hit the lats at ALL, it is all traps and rear delts.

Arms/shoulders: I do recommend that you use your rings for the BW biceps curls. I also think you are being a bit ambitious with the Russian dips, I really think that diamond/triceps push ups are much more appropriate for elbow development at this point. The triceps extensions aren't bad, but you need the specific angle created by triceps push ups as well.

Overall, not bad! I think that these suggestions will make what you are attempting much more successful.

Also, I would look at the WOD every day and do 1-2 scaled back rounds for warm up. That will be very good for you, I guarantee it!

Tarun Suri
slizzardman said:
I used to laugh privately at the idea of actually working supports, but you really get a lot out of it.

I was thinking about making a thread on this, but I guess it's just as appropriate here. I never really see many people working on support holds in their FSP warmups. Is this because they are overlooked, people have already mastered them, or because straight arm strength is already sufficiently challenged from all the other FSPs?

Joshua Naterman

Support holds are basic re-requisites, and I don't know if they ever completely go away. I mean, I will certainly never stop doing them now that I have realized the immense value they have, especially PB support swings. The XR stuff is good too, those two are my staples.

Dreadrok

Wow, thanks for the reply slizz.. I decided to make alot of the changes you said. Im getting rid of the boxjumps and replacing with jumping decksquats, using XR for things, and not going to do the russian dips and save stuff like that for a more focused strength cycle.

On Sat, i did about 1 hour of HS practice, it was awesome. just WU with dynamic/some pushups/3x30s wall holds, then did HS over and over for the rest of the time. I plan on doing this as well as other skill work when i can on non gvt days.. i want to learn some more acrobatics and practice circles as well as handstands on these supplementary days.

Here is how today went.

Chest & Back

Warmup with dynamic stretches 2x10 of everything, 3x10 increasingly harder pushups ending with wrist pushups, then about 5-6 minutes of trying to hold a handstand.

2 sets

A1 supports hold untill almost failure (ill get the times later,roughly 15-20's im assuming)

A2 German hangs (same)

Work sets -- i stopped reps when ROM wassnt 100%

A1 XR Pushups 10x10 -------- these were pretty tough today, the first 6 sets rings were level with feet, last 4 feet on ground and rings about 7-8 inches above ground. I dont have my notes atm but it was something like, 10/9/8/7/7/7/8/8/7/7

A2 XR Horizontal Rows (great trochanter height) 10x10 -------- felt good, 10/10/10/9/9/8/9/9/8/8

B1 Wide Pushup 3x10 ----- on ground just 10/8/0

B2 XR bulg rows 3x10 ---- couldnt do these right at my rings station, tried on ropes but felt awkward,first set was for sure wrong as I kept adjusting to find the best body position... 10/8/0

Legs & Abs

A1 Jumping decksquats 10x10

A2 BW ham curls (lots of assistence) 10x10

B1 hangin knee raises 3x10

B2 Headstand LL (straddle) 3x10

Arms & Shoulders

A1 PB Dips 10x10

A2 XR Horizontal BW curls (legs on floor,rings great troch height) 10x10

B1 HS box pushup (about 90 degree) 3x10

B2 diamond pushups 3x10

Dreadrok

finished my workout today and the real reps of yesterdays

Chest & Back

Work sets -- i stopped reps when ROM wassnt 100%

A1 XR Pushups 10x10 -------- these were pretty tough today, the first 6 sets rings were level with feet, last 4 feet on ground and rings about 7-8 inches above ground. 10/9/8/8/8/7/8/8/7/7

A2 XR Horizontal Rows (great trochanter height) 10x10 -------- felt good, 10/10/8/9/8/9/9/8/8/8

B1 Wide Pushup 3x10 ----- on ground just 10/8/0

B2 XR bulg rows 3x10 ---- couldnt do these right at my rings station, tried on ropes but felt awkward,first set was for sure wrong as I kept adjusting to find the best body position... 10/8/0

Legs & Abs

warmup

A1 squats 2x10

A2 lunges each leg 2x10

2 sets

A1 supports hold untill almost failure (ill get the times later,roughly 15-20's im assuming)

A2 German hangs (same)

Circle walks around a mushroom, and a few circle attempts

worksets

A1 decksquats 10x10 (started jumping after set 6 because non jumping was to ez,tempo is key here) 10x10 ----- 10x10

A2 BW ham curls (negatives about 45degrees) 10x10 ----- 10/10/10/10/10/8/7/7/7/6

B1 hangin knee raises 3x10 ------ 10/10/10

B2 Headstand LL (straddle) 3x10 10/10/0 <--- had to leave as I had no money for the meter and the ticket fairy just pulled behind my car.

Jonas Jonzen

Great to see another trying things GVT-style. Adjusting the XR I found to be a difficult thing and try to focus on the doing the right tempo too.

Would be intresting if you could post the progress. Whats your weight now?

Good luck! I will follow this log

Dreadrok

im not sure what my weight is now grip, its not a priority.. i would assume around the 160-170lb range tho..

On another note, i finished last weeks workout, and then lost my notebook that i kept my data in.. so gotta start a new one.. i didnt workout yesterday or today because i must have slept wrong on sunday night and have a neck kink that is so bad i have about 60 degrees mobility... that is i can look all the way to my right, but when turning left, i get about 60 degrees. Ya thats right, I cant even look straight ahead without this crazy pain. im icing my neck as we speak, hopefully it will be good enough tomorrow that I can go workout in the morning...

anyone have any quick fix remedies for a neck kink? im icing and trying to move it to the pain thresholds slowly and hold it for like 20 seconds. This dam neck is ruining my day.

Dreadrok

kink in my neck is alot better, tomorrow ill workout for sure.. what i did was ice it alot, take some ibuprophin, then like how people massage their muscles with a foam roller... I did that with a bottle on my neck. After a couple of rounds of that, my neck feels alot better.. not at all fixed, but its rest position is no longer tilted to one side, and im h appy about that. :P

Dreadrok

so my neck is jacked still, but i workout today. I didnt eat all day before my workout at about 3 which really killed me at about set 4.

Week 2

Arms & Shoulders (thanksgiving day)

A1 PB Dips 10x10 ---------------- 10/9/9/7.5/7.5/6.5/7.5/7/5 - i started dying.. i blame it on thanksgiving

A2 XR Horizontal BW curls (legs on floor,rings great troch height) 10x10 -------- 10/9/8/7/7+2/5+4/5+4/5+4 - (+ means i bent my legs and moved them closer to make the leverage a bit easier)

B1 HS box pushup (about 90 degree) 3x10 ------- 10/10/8

B2 diamond pushups 3x10 ------ 10/9/8

Week 3 (late start on wednesday)

WU- dynamic stretching,wrist pushups, wall HS, FSHS, circle on floor walks and attempts

Work sets --

A1 XR Pushups 10x10 -------- about 5 inches above horizontal 10/8/9/8/8/8/8/7.5/7/6.5

A2 XR Horizontal Rows (great trochanter height) 10x10 -------- 10/10/8/8+2/8+2/7+3/7+3/7+3/7+3/6+4 - + means i altered leg position for assistance

B1 Wide Pushup 3x10 ----- on ground 10/8/0

B2 XR bulg rows 3x10 ---- 8/8/0 - i think im doing these right, shoulder inflexibility seems to maybe hinder form a bit.

Dreadrok

Leg and Abs

Warmup

dynamic stretching, some regular squats, wall HS both sides, FSHS- had a couple good ones today :P

worksets

A1 jumping decksquats 10x10 ---- 10x8/5+5(non jump)/10 (non jump)

A2 BW ham curls (negatives about 45degrees) 10x10 ----- 10x6/8/8/6/5

B1PB knee raises 3x10 ------ 10/10/10

B2 Headstand LL (straddle) 3x10 10/10/10

Dreadrok

finished week 3, didnt take notes, felt stronger however.

WEEK 4

A1 XR Pushups 10x10 -------- about 3-5 inches above horizontal 10x6/9/8.5/9/7.5

A2 XR Horizontal Rows (great trochanter height) 10x10 -------- 10x5/8+2/8+2/7+3/6+4/6+3 - + means i altered leg position for assistance

B1 Wide Pushup 3x10 ----- on ground 10/10/0

B2 XR bulg rows (troch height) 3x10 ---- 9/8/0

Dreadrok

wow i felt super weak today..

Legs & Abs

A1 Jumping decksquats 10x10 -----------5x10/then 5x10 no jumping =/.. tempo was pretty dang strict on all of them

A2 BW ham curls (lots of assistence) 10x10 5x10/8/4x10 ( rom decreased as sets did -_-)

B1 PB knee raises 3x10 ------- 3x10 .. ez

B2 Headstand LL (straddle) 3x10 ----------- 3x10 ... easier than before =D

also, i just realized i was doing the xr curls wrong =(... watched slizzardmans vid and will adjust and see how it is thursday. Hope it doesnt mess up the gvt too much.

im really looking forward to finishing week 6 and starting the lower volume.. i feel dead today

Dreadrok

Arms & Shoulders

found out i was doing the curls wrong.. i re-watched slizz vid and did them better this time

A1 PB Dips 10x10 ---------------- 10/10/9/8/8/7.5/7.5/7(ugly)/7(good)/7(ugly)

A2 XR Horizontal BW curls (legs on floor,rings great troch height,legs bent) 10x10 -------- 10/10/10/8/9/7/8/6/6.5/6 (crazy awesome biceps exercise I think)

B1 HS box pushup (about 90 degree) 3x10 ------- 10/10/9

B2 diamond pushups 3x10 ------ 10/9/8

my tempo was pretty strict for all of these

Dreadrok

just feeling a little DOMS in my upper biceps today, pity i wasn't doing the curls right before, i think i like them.

Dreadrok

finished week 5 last thursday, wassnt able to write it all down but I felt like I could complete everything better. This week will be weird. I have to find a new place to train as I am in a new state for the holidays.. and its freezing and I know of no place that has PB bars. I think im going to have to sneek into a elementary school and use their recess equip while they are on break. haha Thats funny to me.

N e ways.. today. I hope to start week6, C&B

Dreadrok

last week of gvt.. its been interesting.. fun.. different... my diet was trash so i didnt really gain as much as i bet i could of but i do think still gained some size... I used this gvt cycle to break me out of a big no workout slump I was in and am getting ready for a SSC now..

Ill start to test maxes for stuff next week then make a 4 day im thinking cycle.

this first week of the 2nd phase of the gvt kicked my ass btw.. super doms everywhere.. week 2 and so far week 3 are going fine. Doing more reps per set than before.

Dreadrok

So I am still testing.. its been taking forever.. weird schedule these days so its almost been 2 weeks since i started testing..

Ill post my results when Im all done with them

Here is what Im thinking for my SSC so far. Please let me know if you think this is good/bad/not optimal or whatever else you might think.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

SSC Redux

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

1) Warmup

a) Prehabs (changes based on that days requirements)

b) 1x10 of that days easier FBE progressions untill at worksets

c) 1 FSP series of easier progressions untill at worksets

2) FPS --------------- (# of sets) x (50% of max time until total time is reached for that level of the progression)

(at my level I think they are all at 60's total time)

a1) PL

a2) FL

b1) BL

b2) Sits

3) FBE ---------------- 3 x (50% max reps for current level in the progression)

[Day1] Horizontal

a1) Pushups

a2) Rows

b1) Hamstring

b2) V-up

[Day2] Vert

a1) Pullup

a2) HSPU

b1) SLS

b2) HLL

[Day3] Dip/Curl

a1) Dip

a2) Curl

b1) Hamstring

b2) Straight Body

[Day4] Mppr/u

a1) Mppr

a2) Mppu

b1) SLS

b2) Oblique

4) Supplemental Prehab/Stretching