This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Popping hips

Started by P&R, July 20, 2014 · 8 Replies · 327 Views

P&R

I have a terrible popping in my hips when I do MN/PE2.  The pop occurs on the negative part of the movement right before full extension while closing the legs together.  I believe it is a tendon or muscle sliding over part of the hip joint.  Any ideas on how to correct this.  I've looked through the forum and was unable to find any answers.  I'm assuming it is a muscular weakness or a hip mobility issue.  I have no problems with MN/PE3, but don't want to skip MN/PE2 as this is an obvious weakness.

 

Thanks for any help

Gillham

Sounds like snapping hip syndrome. Tight it band, weak/inactive glute medius and pelvic instability on that side. Roll that it band and do some single leg stuff to strengthen the glute med. If you're anything like me that knee goes valgus when you do sls and that sides QL is prone to injury too. Try rolling the it band, stretching your psoas and doing some clamshells before your next sesh and see if it helps

Mark Collins

This happens with some people. Do you have any pain with it? Does it happen with a slow rep?

obc

I have exactly the same problem!

 

A hip popping sound in MN/PE2. For me, it happens in the middle of the movement, on the way up. There's no pain, but it's somewhat inconvenient. It does feel like a tendon or muscle sliding over part of the hip joint.

 

And just like Gillham said, that leg is also very weak and its knee is prone to injury. I'm not doing SLS/PE2 so much because of a slight pain I get in that knee after some iterations. I hope to fix it before going on.

 

Gillham, what do you mean by rolling the it band? Thanks!

Damon Amato

depends on where in the hip you're feeling the pain.  Snapping hip syndrome can be referred pain from another issue. It's more commonly a labral tear.  Probably 2/3 of the people on this forum have one, we just don't all get pain from it.  If your hip anatomy is such that putting yourself in that specific position causes that pain, it just could be a bad spot for you right now.  

P&R
Mark Collins said:

This happens with some people. Do you have any pain with it? Does it happen with a slow rep?

Slight pain after a few reps, I believe because of irritation.  I have not tried super slow reps, but it still does it with moderately slow reps.  FYI -  I am not very limber in the straddle position, don't know if this would have any relation or not.

 

I rolled the IT band and stretched the PSOAS both last night and prior to today's workout and did some clamshells last night with no relief, but I suspect that work would take several weeks of dedicated effort before seeing results.