Russian Circles

Started by ronin11cs, June 3, 2009 · 13 Replies · 4,761 Views

ronin11cs

I hope thats the right name for the movement i want to learn

here is a vid (not me)

well i practise this move a lot but just wanted to get some help and get to know how gymnast develop this move.

I can do 3-4 rounds but still have the problem that my hands can not follow - because of my momentum!

the other problem is that i bent my legs automatically when i get slower and the biggest problem is that

the wrists are hurting after a few rounds...

anyone here for a tutorial to perfom them on the ground?

Blairbob

More wrist prevention work.

braindx

Instead of trying to get your hands down sooner you should focus on keeping them at your hips and shifting weight from hand to hand much like circles. Unless you're actually doing it where you need fast hand transitions like one pommel russians you don't really need to have THAT fast of hand movement.

I can do russians fairly well on phorse, but I haven't tried bringing them down to the floor much. I should probably get back to that....

Also, wrist prehab/rehab work if they're hurting

gymmie

How bout the leg movement? When shifting weights from hand to hand, should the legs be going in 1 direction? I always end

up bending the legs in when trying to shift weight.

Blairbob

You're bending your legs so they swing faster. Common issue with circling in general.

After the basic circle is mastered, it's more of just learning the hand placement for different skills until you start doing single pommel work or traveling around the leather and pommels.

braindx

Legs should be following the hips. Hips rotate, then counter rotate. Will always face directly forward.

Gregor
braindx said:
Legs should be following the hips. Hips rotate, then counter rotate. Will always face directly forward.

If you mean hips first, then legs in russian circles, than this is not correct. in russians, body must be completly solid. If hips go first, then your body will be twisted more and more and at the end you will fall.

braindx
Gregor said:
braindx said:
Legs should be following the hips. Hips rotate, then counter rotate. Will always face directly forward.

If you mean hips first, then legs in russian circles, than this is not correct. in russians, body must be completly solid. If hips go first, then your body will be twisted more and more and at the end you will fall.

I misread that. You're right.

gymmie

So the legs and hips should move as 1 unit? My problem now is when I try to shift my weight the momentum seems to die off.

How to I actually get started on learning? First step?

braindx
gymmie said:
So the legs and hips should move as 1 unit? My problem now is when I try to shift my weight the momentum seems to die off.

How to I actually get started on learning? First step?

Learn them on mushroom if you can.

I would say to take them to phorse because it FORCES you to make them faster to get your legs over the pommels... but you can go straigth from mushroom to floor.

It will be VERY difficult to straight learn them on floor. They're not like flairs where you can get drive and counter drive of the legs giving you lift.

Blairbob

In circles, in the first 1/2 we say lead with the hips and in the second half, keep on leading with the heels.

It's just a verbal cue.

gymmie

You guys are talking about circles right? How bout russians or is that what it's called, the ones in the vid after he finish the 3 rounds of circles?

Blairbob

getting back to your question, ronin11cs; you may need to increase the speed of your circle. that means more extension and more lean and fast transition from picking the hand and putting it back down.

notice back in that video when he does the russian one of the actions he does is connecting his lat to his tricep shortening the lever and making it easier.

really, i don't know what exactly you're doing but i'm just throwing it out there

deljosque

i think your hands need to be more i front of you, move your hands quicker so you can push yourself around with the upper arm of your second hand. hand NEED TO BE QUICK IN RUSSIANS, work on your position to

jvk