This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Imbalance Between Elements (Injury)

Started by Samson, July 18, 2014 · 4 Replies · 159 Views

Samson

Hi everyone, 

 

I'm a long time lurker and finally decided to start posting, so here goes! As a little background I have been following the foundation series since it came out but 6+ months ago I had an accident that resulted in a mild separation in my shoulder. I started back in F1 and went through each element to get my strength back and I have built back up to the point where I can perform most elements and IM towards the end of F2, except for RC elements. I got stuck for a very long time at RC PE4, partly because I avoided them for a large chunk of time while doing my rehab and partly because, looking back, I do not think I achieved proper mastery before progressing my first time through. I am currently just finishing RC PE5. At the same time I have reached HBP PE13 and while the press itself isn't a problem I've noticed my shoulder just doesn't feel rock solid in the support yet. 

So my question I have 2 questions:

 

Is the imbalance between my pushing and pulling strength partly what is causing the stability issues? 

 

My initial thought is to go back to HBP PE12 and add some extra stability work before progressing BUT I'm wondering if it would be better to really dial things back until my pulling strength is improved to an F2 level?

 

Side note: Building back through the elements has given me a new respect for attaining proper mastery of an element before moving on (we are all a little pig headed at some point right?). 

 

Thanks guys,

 

Nino Begovic

Have you had any problems with your shoulders before starting with gymnastics?
You say imbalance but mention only HBP and RC. Where are you in the other elements ?
HBP PE13 seem quick to me for a short 6 months journey.
Have you listened to Coach's latest podcast?
The HS1 is really good for shoulder health.

Samson

Historically no I have never had any issues. I guess I wasn't super clear, I have been doing the foundations course since day one when it was released and prior to that I had a set of rings set up in my basement I would train with. I hurt my shoulder 6 months ago so my rehab back through the elements was very quick.

My RC elements have always been weaker than my other elements but they have been recovering much slower. Im curious if they could have any affect on shoulder stability in the support? Or if I just need to be very slow about building time in support on the rings

 

For reference my other elements are FL PE13, SP SE2, MN SE2, SL PE12, SLS SE4, HS PE9

 

Thanks for the reply, 

 

ps the podcast was a great listen

Nino Begovic

Thanks for sharing that.
I don't think Im qualified to offer a solving answer but I can say I started Foundation because of imbalances in strength in my body which lead to strange "health"problems similar to what you are mentioning. I hope someone else can join in 

Mark Collins

You sound like you have done the right things, but it is time for some professional help. Get an assessment to see what is really going on. If they find nothing you can then focus on bring your pulling strength up to your pressing strength.