This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/PE3 form check please and MN/PE3 insight

Started by Cadams, July 17, 2014 · 5 Replies · 169 Views

Cadams

Hey Guys, 

    Working on 10 x side to side squat + inside squats.  Wanted to check and make sure my form was good before moving on after this cycle. 

 

http://youtu.be/UeUg8fOEd20

 

Thoughts?

 

Also, I noticed today that while I can do 5 x 15 of the V-ups my rhythm and balance is a little off.  I'm going to do a steady state of 5x15 for next block and I think i'll have it nailed.  However, I noticed today that maintaining holding a full breath in my lungs (increased intrathoracic pressure), as opposed to breathing,  while performing the movement really helps with my stability.  I just take small "sips of air" to keep from going blue in the face while I do the set.  

 

Thank you so much!

 

Chris

thecolin

You're going to want to get way more depth on the inside squats to really get the benefit. This move is both a knee saver when done correctly, and a knee killer if you go too fast. Coach recommends using about half the ROM you're able to do and build up slowly until you can put the inside of your ankle on the floor.

Cadams

allright. I went back and took a look at the video and I see what you mean.  Thanks thecolin!

Iguanus

Wow! The inside of the ankle? Now that's gonna take some time!

 

Also, as per OP request,

 

Side to Side

There's too much bending on the knee. It looks like your legs should be further apart. Video model still has nearly 90 degrees angle on the bent knee when he goes all the way down. Other than that, it looks solid. You even seem to use less lean than the model =)

 

Inside Squat

Agree with thecolin on depth. Also, since you'll have to bend your ankles a lot more, you'll need a wider instance (vídeo model has feet a bit more apart than shoulder width). Go really slowly in adding Depth to them. You'll feel almost instantly that something is wrong if you do too much -  or at least I did - , but that's easy to mistake it with exercise difficulty.

 

Cheers and happy training!

thecolin
Iguanus said:

Video model still has nearly 90 degrees angle on the bent knee when he goes all the way down.

 

It's going to be tricky to do a pistol squat like that.  :P  Bending less may be acceptable at this point in the programming, but ideally your foot should be pointing straight forward with your knee pushing past your toes. So bending more than the video certainly isn't a problem. The further forward you can push your knee, the easier it will be to center your weight over your foot for pistol squats.

Cadams

Yeah. I was thinking about that and it didn't seem accurate, just knowing what I know about squatting and movement and what this is prepping for. Thanks for weighing in again