This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Can i do pullups alongside RC PEs ?

Started by MrPuppeh, July 17, 2014 · 8 Replies · 373 Views

MrPuppeh

I was thinking of doing pullups after my RC work

thinking of  starting from 3x3 for a month then building very slowly up to 5x5 and more.

 

It is partialy for me to not forget the pullup movement because im at RC PE1 and it will take atleast 8 months until i finish RC PE6. And my biceps are very weak compared to other parts ( reason why im still at PE1 )

 

What do you guys think ? Any suggestions ?

LateStarter@46

From my experience I would say forget about pull ups. I could do 3 when I started F, stopped doing them until I came across them again in the program. Now I can do a run of 12 - with the correct form.

Nacho training

I think the same as LateStarter. The motor control of the scapula with the beginner row variations, will allow you to perform much better pull-ups in the future. Just be sure that yo do the movement with perfect ROM and control, retracting your scaps at the top, and protracting and stretching your retractors at the botton. Don't do the windshield pull ups that we can see a lot in the gyms with a small ROM please. Also you can think about pull with your elbows donwards, like if you want to throw the rings to the floor. In addition, if you depress your scapula while you extend and rectract the shoulders, you will feel more your lats.

MrPuppeh
Nacho training said:

I think the same as LateStarter. The motor control of the scapula with the beginner row variations, will allow you to perform much better pull-ups in the future. Just be sure that yo do the movement with perfect ROM and control, retracting your scaps at the top, and protracting and stretching your retractors at the botton. Don't do the windshield pull ups that we can see a lot in the gyms with a small ROM please. Also you can think about pull with your elbows donwards, like if you want to throw the rings to the floor. In addition, if you depress your scapula while you extend and rectract the shoulders, you will feel more your lats.

what does windshield pullups mean ?

Nacho training

I say windshield pull ups when you see somebody doing pull ups going up and down with a very little ROM. It looks like cheerleaders...

Joshua Slocum
MrPuppeh said:

Can i do pullups alongside RC PEs ?

No.

 

 

You should already be working your pulling strength at close to the highest volume you can productively handle. Adding more pulling work would just delay progress. 

dritar

If you still want to do them atleast don't structure it, treat it as play after your Foundation workout.

Jay Horley
Joshua Slocum said:

No.

 

 

You should already be working your pulling strength at close to the highest volume you can productively handle. Adding more pulling work would just delay progress. 

True, I injured myself going strait into pull ups and are still rehabbing it. Further delaying PE. 

The Hansenator
Joshua Slocum said:

No.

 

 

You should already be working your pulling strength at close to the highest volume you can productively handle. Adding more pulling work would just delay progress. 

What about when you have done as many reps per set as you could and you've done all your sets but still have energy?

 

I found that the number of reps I can do in a set drops off pretty quickly after the first but I can continue doing set after set of lower reps. I'm not sure where the point of diminishing returns is though so I try not to push it too much.