This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I've made like 5 HS/PE1-iM form checks because

Started by kimura, July 17, 2014 · 10 Replies · 402 Views

kimura

I can't seem to get a conclusive answer on a few things. There seems to be a discrepancy between the forum mantra I keep hearing of "shoulder width for non-dislocate elements, shoulder width plus one fist width on either side for dislocate elements" and the form in the video. iM1 is not a dislocate element, and yet in the video it clearly shows the athlete at a width of greater than shoulder width. It also looks like he is employing some rotation but I'll leave that alone.

The last form check I posted I was at shoulder width plus a fist on either side, and somebody told me it looked good but I had to bring the width in. It's frustrating when I feel like my form matches the video but I hear that I need to go narrower.

What I think I'm going to do is move on but keep working on iM1 along with iM2, because PE1 has been easy for me for a long time. In the meantime I'm going to post my last form check and this form check and if anyone feels like it, I would love to hear thoughts on this issue and my form and your form and anyone's form or struggles with this iM.

My last form check:

My newest form check:

After watching it I suppose even this latest one is not quite shoulder width. But let's lay this issue to rest and figure it out in this thread. Unless I'm the only one that can't seem to get it, then I'll just go sit in the corner.

Happy handstanding!

Oz

Murray Truelove
kimura said:

What I think I'm going to do is move on but keep working on iM1 along with iM2, because PE1 has been easy for me for a long time. In the meantime I'm going to post my last form check and this form check and if anyone feels like it, I would love to hear thoughts on this issue and my form and your form and anyone's form or struggles with this iM.

Oz

This is exactly what I did.

What also helped me get this IM was doing it lying on the floor (face down) so I could get a feel for the trap activation.

I spent over a year on IM 1 and 2 but now I'm on IM 3 and 4 I'm making excellent progress because I have the necessary mobility.

Adriano Augusto

The last form check seems totally OK, because you don't "dislocate" or "semi dislocate" at all. The shoulder width seems OK to. Definitely that's the way to go with this iM.

 

I want to share some things here, just for the pourpose of clarification (even more).

 

This was what I thought it was iM one year ago.

 

Even the title of the video leaves conclusions.

 

 

This is what I think NOW that is iM1

 

(the first rep in this video is similar to the previous one)

 

 

Do you see the difference? :D

 

What's more, if you want to really FEEL what you've to FEEL with iM, go to PE4, is the same but on the floor. You're going to feel that trap activation, THAT'S THE EXERCISE! If you don't feel your traps, you're dislocate. If you feel your traps youre definitely flexioning.

 

Hope it helps.

 

Cheers.

TANSTAAFL

As far as I know, when shoulder width is mentioned it means thumb side of hands in line with around the deltoids. This is going to look wider if you current definition of shoulder width is arms straight up 180 degrees at the shoulder.

 

So, I believe shoulder width plus a fist would be even wider than the above.

kimura
Murray Truelove said:

This is exactly what I did.

What also helped me get this IM was doing it lying on the floor (face down) so I could get a feel for the trap activation.

I spent over a year on IM 1 and 2 but now I'm on IM 3 and 4 I'm making excellent progress because I have the necessary mobility.

Excellent! I'm looking forward to moving on, it's been a looong time at this PE and it was getting pretty boring

kimura

Adriano I definitely see what you're saying, you're actually one of the people that helped me figure out how to properly do this exercise months ago in regards to rotation. In both form checks I am feeling no rotation although in the first one it looks like there is some. I'm definitely feeling my traps about to explode with this exercise every time I do it!

My main concern has been the width and amount of flexion but if it looks good to the people in here and I am going to keep working on it then I am confident to move on!

kimura
TANSTAAFL said:

As far as I know, when shoulder width is mentioned it means thumb side of hands in line with around the deltoids. This is going to look wider if you current definition of shoulder width is arms straight up 180 degrees at the shoulder.

So, I believe shoulder width plus a fist would be even wider than the above.

Ahhh that makes sense, that is different from what I considered shoulder width! Thanks for pointing that out.

JimV

What's more, if you want to really FEEL what you've to FEEL with iM, go to PE4, is the same but on the floor. You're going to feel that trap activation, THAT'S THE EXERCISE! If you don't feel your traps, you're dislocate. If you feel your traps youre definitely flexioning.

 

My traps completely freak out when I do this. They nearly cramp. It feels less like mobility and more like trap strength. 

Is that right?

kimura

That's what I have experienced, traps working intensely. They have also grown like crazy from this

Murray Truelove

gYeah the trap cramp is intense! I've also experienced a lot of hypertrophy.

Adriano Augusto
JimV said:

 

 

What's more, if you want to really FEEL what you've to FEEL with iM, go to PE4, is the same but on the floor. You're going to feel that trap activation, THAT'S THE EXERCISE! If you don't feel your traps, you're dislocate. If you feel your traps youre definitely flexioning.

 

My traps completely freak out when I do this. They nearly cramp. It feels less like mobility and more like trap strength. 

Is that right?

 

Is mobility and strenght, because first you've to get the mobility (im1) and then the strenght on that range (pe4). If you're not able to do iM1 that is sitting and relatively comortable, no way you can lift that weighted bar laying face down on the floor.

 

That's the curious thing about HS1: MAKES SENSE.