Scapula Position in Back Lever

Started by NoHiddenCosts, July 17, 2014 · 9 Replies · 4,207 Views

NoHiddenCosts

I would like to throw in some Back Lever work after Foundation work. I've got BtGB, which has a nice, simple progression for Back Lever, but does not give any detail on the scapula positioning.

 

Should Back Levers ideally be performed with a protracted, neutral, or retracted scapula?

B1214N

Neutral.

DieKatze

until i read your comment i was pretty sure you should protract.

Mats Trane

You could "think" protract. If you manage to be fully protracted you´re going to be close to Maltese.

B1214N
Mats Trane said:

If you manage to be fully protracted you´re going to be close to Maltese.

I'm really certain that is not true, where did you get that?

DiTi

you should protract 

DiTi
Mats Trane said:

You could "think" protract. If you manage to be fully protracted you´re going to be close to Maltese.

this will only happen if you do it with wide grip 

B1214N
DiTi said:

you should protract 

No, you should be neutral since Coach Sommer said there should only be partial protraction. I personally don't even voluntarily move my scapulae when going into or holding back lever. I can also hold back lever with full retraction and also with full or near-full protraction if I wanted to.

NoHiddenCosts

Paf, thanks for the link; should have been more thorough in searching before asking!

So definitely NOT the same level or protraction as one would do for the Planche. Eventually going for a straight body... Neutral does kind of seem to be the way to go.