This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deck Squat Help

Started by Smartest_Smarty, July 16, 2014 · 4 Replies · 258 Views

Smartest_Smarty

Hello all,

 

I've been trying to do deck squats but find it so hard to get from the floor to my feet without huge momentum. 

 

Once i'm on my feet the squat is easy. Any advice how to transition?

 

Or an easier way to get started?

 

Thanks in advance.

Blairbob

Generally we start these with beginners rocking back to a panel mat and taking off a layer at a time.

Also refining the hollow rock into the deck squat and not piking. Keep the hollow from the candle to the bottom rather than allowing the hips to drop and pike.

Jeremy Huston

Some momentum is part of deck squats.  Without unusual body geometry I don't think it's physically possible to sit on your rear and stand up with feet and knees together with no momentum.  The momentum allows you to start standing even though your center of gravity (hips) is slightly behind your heels.  Remember, this is the first element, so it's meant to be the least difficult.  The biggest key to getting started in the stand with minimal momentum is ankle flexibility.

 

Post a video if you're questioning whether you have too much momentum or need specific pointers.

Gregory Bland

I'm having the same issue- I must use a lot of momentum and a "flick" to get onto my feet and start pushing up quickly before I fall over- kinda like a less exaggerated version of the flick you would use if you were on your back and trying to flip onto your feet upright in one motion.

 

Its totally a mobility issue- I can't sit in the bottom of a BW squat with my feet close together without falling over backwards, though if I use a 5kg counterbalance I'm easily able to perform 5+ reps of a SLS so strength is not the issue. 

 

Is it acceptable to do this and is the mobility something fixed by later elements, or should I spend a long time working on totally eliminating the need for this flick (i.e. work my way into having the flexibility to sit in a rock-bottom squat with no counterbalance and feet close together?). I have pretty much the worst possible limb ratios for sitting in a deep squat with no counterbalance, so this may take a whillleee :P.