This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on transitioning to F1

Started by Dill Gromble, July 15, 2014 · 4 Replies · 204 Views

Dill Gromble

Hello all,

 

     I've just purchased F1 and taken a few hours to pour over the info to fully understand the program.  For about 6-8 weeks I've been doing a full bodyweight routine that starts with a short warm-up followed by bodyline holds (60s of each: plank, arch, side plank, hollow hold, reverse plank), then moving to skill work such as 5 min of against the wall HS and 5 min Floor L-sits and a few minutes parallel bar support, and finally a full body strength progression for push/pull/legs.  My main question is: in transitioning into doing F1 as my main program, what can I keep and what do I replace?

 

     I assume it will take the place of the strength progressions, but I was unsure if bodyline drills on the front end would be redundant once I'm doing similiar holds in F1.  I've read that skill work is recommended alongside F1, but how much is too much? 

 

     I apologize if any of these questions are answered elsewhere.  I looked, but I've been reading for so long that I may have overlooked it.

 

Thanks a bunch!

Keegan

Replace the whole thing. If you want to "play" with some other skills after your Foundation workout, then that's ok. But don't make them your workout.

Nacho training

If you have started with F1, I would do it since the beginning. If you have doubts about what you are doing wrong, record yourself and post a video. You will discover that there are a lot of little details that you will be able to discovered once you spent a long time with an element. That's the magic thing of foundation. Once you discover that and you have a mature actitude with your training, then you can start for thinking about skill work and play with more advanced elements. However, it is very useful to give it a try.

2 things that you have to know:

- The rest is the mobility.
- It's not only doing the element, it's doing it correctly (With the little details).


Good luck! Feel free to question what you want...

Dill Gromble

Thanks for the replies.  I suppose I am just surprised at the idea of my workouts going from 3 hours with my previous program to 30-45min with F1.

 

One other question would be:  If my progress of the mobility portion of an element is severely lagging behind the skill portion, is it appropriate to practice it for more time after completing the workout?  I'm particularly talking about swivel hips, as I could see not being able to fully and correctly do this motion for many many weeks if I only practice it as mobility between sets of Scalpular Shrugs.  I can currently do all the sets of Scalpular Shrugs with little fatigue, but I am far away from swivel hips.

 

Thanks for the help!

piotro

What counts more is effectiveness of training, how long it takes is secondary. Still, if you have completed your F1 in assumed time and have gas in the tank, do other things.

 

Yes, you can do more mobility - just bear in mind, some of these may be quite harsh on your body (esp if you are severely lagging behind on them), there is a thin line you don't want to cross, between effective training and doing to much - hurting yourselves. Add some general limbering/flexibility, be careful with active flexibility/mobility work, listen to your body, don't catch injury you could have easily avoided, that simple ;).

 

For swivel hips probably you can do more without any problems (but again, listen to your body), if you feel stress in the knee while doing them - it means you are doing them wrong.